Email retrieval

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have reinstalled XP on my other computer but have realised that there are some emails and addresses that I should have kept and transferred to my newer computer.

Are they gone forever or will they still be on the server and can I get them back somehow? :(

Thanks

Sponsored Links
depends.

i use outlook express.

there is an option to "remove from server when deleted from deleted folder"

i ticked this option, so that if / when i set up an email address (say, same address on new pc) it downloads the same email again. becuse the new pc doesnt have it and its not been dleted.

you will of course have to set the email details up again in your email client

Not used many but I do not think that ISP 's in general want to store your email permanently They are happy to store for a short time until you dial in to collect it then it will be deleted. I do not believe that they are responsible for mail once you have accessed it (unless you are a corporate client with email stored for everyone on a central email server).

Just checked my own ISP and all that I have is unread messages - no way to retrieve old ones.

Have you tried dialling in yet to see what the ISP has saved?

As you have reinstalled XP on another computer what have you done with the original HDD - is there any chance that your emails saved in Outlook on this?

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony (and Breezer)

They are not on my HDD as my computer expert has checked so will have to ask the server. In the interest of privacy would they keep your emails for long anyway?

They are not on my HDD as my computer expert has checked so will have to ask the server.

Assuming that the old HDD hasnt been formatted and isnt damaged the emails are on there.

What happened to the HDD out of the original machine ?

Depends on your ISP rules. I believe the most likely scenario is that they will delete emails as soon as you have accessed them as they would expect you to save them locally via Outlook or similar.

EDIT: Agree with BoxCleva if you have not done anything to the old HDD and you used an email application such as Outlook and you have not permanently deleted mail then they should still be lurking in your system.

I am using Microsoft Outlook for email but will see if there is a similar feature,

Try a search for *.DBX on both your hard drives. These will be your Outlook Express files. If they are there you can change OE to read them.

I have managed to find some emails which were still on the hard drive! :D

However. there are some still missing from months ago that I would like to keep. I phoned my ISP who said they would not be still on the server.

Are they not supposed to keep messages for 6 months or so as they would not take up much room on the server?

When you retrieve e-mail messages from a POP3 e-mail account, the messages are deleted from the e-mail server by default after they are downloaded to your computer.
Nonsense. I wish you people would get a grip.

POP3 is a protocol, not a type of account.

Messages are stored in a mailbox indefinitely, subject to its size quota, as long as the account is kept active (and as long as the mail host doesn't crash).

If you use an Email client, such as Outlook Express, then you may configure it to retrieve using POP3 and then to delete after retrieval. Or not delete. Whichever you prefer.

If you've retrieved, then the messages are [also] stored on your local [network] drive until you permanently delete them, and until that happens you can recover the proprietary mail client files and import the messages into the mail client on another machine.

If you've formatted the drive then the process is more difficult, but not impossible.

When you retrieve e-mail messages from a POP3 e-mail account, the messages are deleted from the e-mail server by default after they are downloaded to your computer.

Nonsense. I wish you people would get a grip.

And I wish people like you would learn to think before making such comments
POP3 is a protocol, not a type of account..

As Microsoft and others refer to it as "POP 3 email account" it is good enough for me!

Messages are stored in a mailbox indefinitely, subject to its size quota, as long as the account is kept active (and as long as the mail host doesn't crash)..

Quote MS "E-mail account types differ in how e-mail messages are saved and synchronized with the e-mail server. For example, by default POP3 e-mail accounts delete e-mail messages from the e-mail server when downloaded into Outlook. However, you can customize how e-mail messages are retrieved and saved."

If you use an Email client, such as Outlook Express, then you may configure it to retrieve using POP3 and then to delete after retrieval. Or not delete. Whichever you prefer.

OP stated he uses Outlook not OE.

POP3 is a protocol, not a type of account.
As Microsoft and others refer to it as "POP 3 email account" it is good enough for me!
Is that an example of you thinking? :rolleyes:

Messages are stored in a mailbox indefinitely, subject to its size quota, as long as the account is kept active (and as long as the mail host doesn't crash).
Quote MS "E-mail account types differ in how e-mail messages are saved and synchronized with the e-mail server."
I don't know why you've written that, given that it doesn't conflict with anything I've written.

FYI, Microsoft didn't invent Email, or computers, or software, or the Internet, so I don't know why you hold it (MS) in such high regard.

Quote MS "For example, by default POP3 e-mail accounts delete e-mail messages from the e-mail server when downloaded into Outlook."
Firstly, "accounts" don't delete messages.

Secondly, whilst the above is true of Outlook, deletion is not the default POP3 protocol behaviour.

OP stated he uses Outlook not OE.
...a fact that didn't prevent you and others writing, and you continuing to write, nonsense.

Sponsored Links
Back