EMC with USB Cassette Converter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have tried unplugging head phones, but how I stop interference after that I am stumped. I note it depends on time of day. I have tried fitting batteries still picking up interference. Also tried powered USB hub and direct to lap top. I have not noted the same problem using an analogue transfer although in the past I have in the main been transferring books on tape rather than music cassettes. The books on tape seem to be sold off cheap so transferring to MP3 is well worth while.

The unit is an EnVivo a report is given here the writing on the instruction book is so small I can’t read it without two pair of glasses on. Lucky there is also a PDF version in the disk. There is very little on the recorder most of the instructions are about using Audacity which in my case was already installed on PC and a higher version than what came with device.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Did you have a question?

What sort of interference from where?

Having read the reviews on Amazon, I wouldn't expect much from this device. An old Sony "Walkman" is likely to provide better quality and reliability. Obviously you'll need a USB interface as well. (Avoid anything with "Retro" in the name. It's all cheap rubbish.)

Interestingly, the same unit is on sale here at a stupendous price for Mac users! The only difference is that they have provided instructions for MacOSX.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tape-2-Mac-USB-Tape-Capture-Mac/dp/B006XEYNMI

Last edited:
It is a sound which would lead me to suspect a central heating thermostat chattering but my thermostat does not switch on and off that often. Could be anything from beer temperature controllers to a faulty fluorescent lamp. For audio tapes it's not enough to worry about listening to Terry Pratchett at moment. But for music dead loss. It was very cheap opening offers in new local Aldi likely less than £5 but present so don't know exactly.

She also got me water proof camera 8 mega pixel and unit to record video not even opened box on that one as already have one up and running, and a negative scanner the latter with reasonable results.

But I have found before some times some really simple things can cure a problem. I remember using 3 in 1 oil to remove scratch sounds on records when recording 78's. So always worth asking. For all I know there may be a software filter to stop it.
temp-1.jpg

This is a particularly bad one. This spikes are heard as clicks as I say like central heating thermostat, but that many in 6 minutes?

As a PS according to the instructions MAC software is included on the mini CD.

Last edited:
My point on the Mac was that the seller charges £20 extra for the Mac instructions!

The source of your clicks can be pinpointed by using an AM radio tuned off-station. Pray that it's not the tape player acting like a Van der Graaf generator! If it is then the only cure is humidity or a grounded conductive "wiper".

Sponsored Links
Good point with Van der Graaf generator something I had not considered. Humidity 43% so yes quite low so good possibility specially with the regular fault. In some ways good as I can do something to stop it. Now I have an idea I will try again and see if I can cure it. Thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back