Emergency Light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What is the correct definition for an emergency light fitting which is an emergency version of a standard fitting, it needs to come on and go off with the rest but also come on or stay on in the event of a fire.

Am I correct in saying this is a 'maintained' emergency light ?

Sponsored Links
No, what you describe is 'non maintained', 'maintained' emergency lights are never turned off eg EXIT signs.

Thanks, I thought 'non-maintained' were lights which were 'off' all the time and only came on during a fire alarm situation, i.e. EXIT signs over doors

It is a maintained fitting which you want.

They have a permanant supply to them for charging of the batteries and mains fail detection, and a switched live for them to operate like normal lights in normal circumstances.

Holmslaw doesn't have em lighting in his mud hut.

Sponsored Links
It is a maintained fitting, whether or not it is on 24/7, on when the lights are on, or controlled by a secret key with when there is function on, etc, its still a maintained fitting.

Though some of the cheaper exit signs can't take a separate switchfeed, they just have a link to drop out to choose from maintained in the 24/7 varient or non-maintained, and while you could fit a switch in the place of a link, you are limited to one fitting per switch as to do otherwise would end up with the input fuse in the fittings being paralleled up.

But both fittings would be called maintained

You both beat me to it. Certain maintained fittings have to remain lit at all times when the building is occupied and some can operate as normal fittings as well. Either way they will operate from emergency source when there is a power failure.

Non-maintained will only operate under power failure.

Holmy, if you want to disagree read BS5266

So, Bobby's light is what is known as a switched maintained light.

That is if the same light is illuminated from the (switched) light feed or from the battery in the event of power fail.

A sustained fitting has two lamps. One used for normal switched operation, the other for emergency / power fail situations.

I hate to say this, but Coldslaw is right on the absolute definition of maintained. It is defined as being on all the time during normal and emergency situations (eg building exit lights).

What is the correct definition for an emergency light fitting which is an emergency version of a standard fitting, it needs to come on and go off with the rest but also come on or stay on in the event of a fire.

No, what you describe is 'non maintained'

non-maintained emergency lighting
a lighting system in which all emergency lighting
lamps are in operation only when the supply to the
normal lighting fails"

Consistent if nothing else :rolleyes:

Holmy, if you want to disagree read BS5266

From BS5266

"2.15
maintained emergency lighting
lamps are in operation at all material times
material times
times during which the emergency lighting is
required to be illuminated, e.g. at all times that
persons are on the premises, or at the times the
main lighting is not available, according to the
regulations, conditions of certificate or licence as
appropriate

non-maintained emergency lighting
lamps are in operation only when the supply to the
normal lighting fails"

Which is exactly what I said and is not what you said :p

there is also sustained emergency lighting which would be for an example a recessed fitting 600x600 with two or more lamps, at least one of which is energised from the emergency supply and the remainder from the normal supply

What is the correct definition for an emergency light fitting which is an emergency version of a standard fitting
If it's an emergency pack in a general luminaire it's classed as non-maintained. This means that the battery pack will only be used if the additional permanent supply to that particular luminaire fails
it needs to come on and go off with the rest but also come on or stay on in the event of a fire.
Why does it need to come on in the event of a fire? Before you answer, please read all parts of BS 5266 and part B of the building regs.
I'm afraid not. A maintained luminaire is one which is illuminated all of the time and should the normal supply be lost a battery will take over and keep it illuminated for an additional 3hours

there is also sustained emergency lighting which would be for an example a recessed fitting 600x600 with two or more lamps, at least one of which is energised from the emergency supply and the remainder from the normal supply

If the emergency lamp is only illuminated in a mains failure condition this luminaire is regarded as non-maintained.

I've never seen a central system feeding one lamp in a luminaire, but I'm sure they exist.

Why does it need to come on in the event of a fire? Before you answer, please read all parts of BS 5266 and part B of the building regs.

Call me Mr Stupid, if you like, but there is no fire detection circuitry in these lights. The emergency part (ie the battery/inverter) operates when the mains supply is switched off.
Something else will have caused the supply to fail. That something may be a fire, maybe not.

I wish I had mentioned sustained emergency lighting....

oh, but I did

A sustained fitting has two lamps. One used for normal switched operation, the other for emergency / power fail situations.

Call me Mr Stupid, if you like, but there is no fire detection circuitry in these lights. The emergency part (ie the battery/inverter) operates when the mains supply is switched off.
Something else will have caused the supply to fail. That something may be a fire, maybe not.

I wish I had mentioned sustained emergency lighting....

oh, but I did

So you did I must have missed your comment..

you stroppy barsteward :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back