Emergency lighting annual test

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Could anyone tell me if the annual emergency light test has to be done by an electrician or can a'competent' person do it (I know that brings up the question of interpretation with regards to competence).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
How do you prove your competence without being a qualified electrician who can give paper work to back it up?

How do you prove your competence without being a qualified electrician who can give paper work to back it up?
Goodness knows - I suppose that you, or someone, has to make a judgement as to whether they 'know what they are doing'!

In any event, I'm sure you will find 'electricians' out there who have little, if any, meaningful paperwork to 'back up' what they are working as!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
All they seem to do at my place is turn off the lighting circuit (which kills power to the emergency lights) and check that they automatically come on. Presumably they are required to come on and last a given time to allow evacuation. At work, it is the electricians who have access to the breakers but I don't think they do any electrical checks, other than ensuring that the lights stay on. Presumably they Flag up any unit that needs attention.

Slightly different note, the fire alarms are tested once a week by a staff member who is not a "qualified" person, testing each call button on rotation - maybe two or three at a time. Once a year the alarm company check smoke detectors and other stuff.

Competent and qualified. One does not necesseraly go hand in hand with the other.

I have had experience with many bad contractors to prove this.......but I have also had some very good experiences so I believe competence is a very subjective thing.

I am lead to believe any competent person can do the annual emergency light test but if any faults are highlighted because of the test a qualified electrician needs to attend.

What do you guys/ gals think?

Competent and qualified. One does not necesseraly go hand in hand with the other.

I have had experience with many bad contractors to prove this.......but I have also had some very good experiences so I believe competence is a very subjective thing.

I am lead to believe any competent person can do the annual emergency light test but if any faults are highlighted because of the test a qualified electrician needs to attend.

What do you guys/ gals think?
In many companies it is just one of the duties of the secretaries, along with topping up the chocolate machine and the photo copier etc.

In many companies it is just one of the duties of the secretaries, along with topping up the chocolate machine and the photo copier etc.
Times have probably changed but, in the fairly distant past, the regular routine testing of the fire alarms and emergency lighting etc. in hospitals was very much the territory of the 'security' staff and/or the hospital porters.

Kind Regards, John

Um, the cleaner did the last e/l test at my factory.
There is not a lot required of someone to do it, knock the power off on the e/lighting circuit and go round timing the lights - noting what works etc.
I'm just glad that he was not the one to fix the faulty ones.

Um, the cleaner did the last e/l test at my factory. There is not a lot required of someone to do it, knock the power off on the e/lighting circuit and go round timing the lights - noting what works etc.
Indeed - and I'm not convinced that I understand why even a highly qualified and experienced electrician would necessarily be any more able to do that than would anyone with a small modicum of intelligence.

Kind Regards, John

A 3 hour test should be scheduled in, as it drains the batteries severely and in the event that there is a real emergency soon after, then they may not be sufficient.
It is recomended that they are tested at a time when the building is due to be empty for a while to let them recharge, usually through the night, though in the real world i have seen them done during day and on more than one occasion been called out to sites where the keyswitch has been left off by the so called "Competent" person that was sent specifically to test them..

Indeed - and I'm not convinced that I understand why even a highly qualified and experienced electrician would necessarily be any more able to do that than would anyone with a small modicum of intelligence.

Kind Regards, John

PLEASE!
Don't confuse our cleaner with someone that has a small modicum of intelligence!
That would be giving him undeserved credit :) :)

A 3 hour test should be scheduled in, as it drains the batteries severely and in the event that there is a real emergency soon after, then they may not be sufficient.
It is recomended that they are tested at a time when the building is due to be empty for a while to let them recharge, usually through the night, though in the real world i have seen them done during day and on more than one occasion been called out to sites where the keyswitch has been left off by the so called "Competent" person that was sent specifically to test them..

One of my frequent call outs, bless em

I've seen that ploy too, they go back the following day with replacement light fitting, discretely reset the switch then demonstrate within minutes that the fitting doesn't have enough charge...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back