Emergency pump advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had a few jobs lately where it is necessary to drain down tanks, cylinders etc but have found that the drain offs are either not fitted, don't work at all or work very slowly.

Usually I would syphon out but am looking for a faster method. I've tried those drill attachments and found them to be pathetic.

So, I'm looking for a small, cheapish and quick way of pumping out. Anyone got any ideas?

Regards
:)

Sponsored Links
put a plastic tank under a suitable pipe, put a sump pump in the box and cut the pipe?. (put a cloth over the cut to direct the water into box)

It may sound daft, but if the drain cock is slow putting a pump on it wont make it faster (not if its blocked)

One idea that I've not yet tried myself is to fit one of those self-tapping valves (that come with garden tap kits) onto the 22mm feed pipe near the base of cylinder.

These self-tapping valves are generally designed to fit 15mm tube, so longer bolts might be required for 22mm. Draining would still be slightly restricted by the small bore of the hole cut into the pipe, but it would be a lot better than nothing! I've got one set up ready.

Syphoning should work well if the tube used is large bore (say 19mm) and the long end of the syphon can be drained much lower than cylinder, e.g. out of window to ground floor drain. The lower the outlet, the more pressure forcing the water through the syphon.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking more of something like a smallbore flexible pipe that I could use to suck up from anywhere - e.g. after stuffing down the DHW outlet of a HWC etc.

Mind you, the self cutting W/M feed sounds OK, just whack it onto a hosepipe and away you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back