emersion heater

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hideeho peeps!
Would anyone like to tell me exactly how to remove an emersion heater, it is still connected to the water aqnd electricity supply. We are having radiators that link with our combi so we dont want this heater any longer.
However I have absolutely no idea how to even attempt this, the plumber says it'll cost over 100 notes so i cant really afford to have him do it. any good sites or books anyone can recomend ?

cheers in advance

Gaz :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
i am not a plumber or heating engineer but if you are saying you will be having a combi boiler fitted then the whole of the cylinder in which the immersion heater sits will be redundany and your man should take the whol;e thing away in order to be able to get your hot water to be heated by the combi.

Or are you keeping the cylinder? (don't know why you would)

sorry, i obviously didnt make myself clear, i do apologise...
the emersion heater exists aswell as a combi boiler, you see the house we have bought used to be two flats. the upstairs has combi boiler and radiators and the downstairs has an emersion heater and two gas fires, i am going to extend the central heating downstairs and the hot water supply downstairs also. however i wil have to disconnect the water supply from the emersion heater when i connect the downstairs pipework to the upstairs supply! ppppppp ....
anyway, when i disconnect the heater downstairs i may aswell take it out completely hadnt i?

cheers then

So, if you are extending the CH and DHW downstairs from the combi boiler you will not need the cylinder at all as a combi doesn't store hot water.
If the plumbers disconnect the cylinder from the water supply when fixing the combi pipework it should be a fairly simple unbolt job to remove the unwanted items. The electric supply to the immersion heater is the thing to take care of. If you are not sure of dealing with the electricity supply you may be as well to pay the £100 to get it sorted.

Sponsored Links
wont the electric supply just eb a case of disconnecting it from the fuse box, easy aint it ?

i am sorry for my apparent ignorance to the dangers of electricity

:evil:

yes you are right, the electricity supply for the imersion heater itself is just connected to either a timer or switched spur. You would be safer if you turned all the electricity off at the consumers unit while you disconnect the cable though.

I do not understand why the plumber wants to charge you £100 to this (unless he is going to remove alll the non functioning pipes too)

i know why he wants tyo charge this much, its coz hes done work for me before and he knows i don't really know much about what he does! thats why. cheers breezer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back