Replace Emersion Heater in Dist Board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I'm looking to put in a jacuzzi which will require a 20a fuse. My distribution boards are full (i have two as it is an old house renovated/extended in 2 main phases). However each board has a dedicated slot for a hot water tank emersion heater from where the wire runs exclusively to the appropriate emersion heater - we actually have 3 hot water tanks, two of which are ~30 years old with the emersion heaters as an standby. We don't use the emersion heaters and these are therefore switched off at the distribution board.

So my question is: is there any reason why i can't simply use one of the emersion heater slots on the dist board for the jacuzzi supply? Clearly it would need a new 20a MCB and the emersion wire sealed off, labelled and tucked away somewhere.

Note: before anyone jumps on me telling me to get a professional, I want to understand whether the above is correct before engaging in a discussion with an electrician. I always find such discussions go better when you know what you want and a modicum about the subject.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, an appropriate MCB for the new circuit, but for a jacuzzi you’ll need an RCD too. Is there one? If not you may need an RCD, or an RCBO.
It depends on the consumer unit. Older models can have issues as some are obsolete.
Your registered and (hopefully) competent electrician can advise.

Thanks. The dist boards do have all power circuits protected by RCDs but it's a good point that this may need to be upgraded/renewed/etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back