Hot water delay from emersion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've recently moved into a larger house (4-bed detached) with a old floor-standing gas boiler feeding an open central heating system and hot water emersion cylinder.

The heating works fine - the problem I'm having is the length of time it takes to get hot water to the taps. Once it arrives, it's very hot and plentiful but the delay is frustrating.

As an example, it takes 2 minutes after turning the kitchen hot water tap on fully before it's anywhere near hot enough to use for washing up. For the first minute at least, it's stone cold. The heating has usually been on for hours by this point, so the cylinder should be plenty hot enough in theory. The hot water cylinder is 4-5 metres away from the kitchen sink, upstairs.

Now I've not yet had the floorboards up to know exactly where the pipes run, but even if it isn't the shortest run possible, is 2 minutes still normal ?

I had a combi boiler in my last house so have been used to a short delay (ie. 20-30 secs) before getting hot water, but past experience in houses with emersion heaters has always been that hot water often appears more instant from an emersion tank than from a combi, which is why I'm suspicious that something isn't right.

I guess the main question is, therefore, are there any other factors (besides the length of pipe runs) that affect how long it takes to get hot water from an emersion tank ?

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
downsize quick.before the next recession :LOL: .......or get a secondary circuit installed ....or point-of-use unvented water heaters ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back