Emissions fail - have exhaust leaks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My car (99colt) failed on emissions and has a couple of exhaust leaks

Is it possible the exhaust leaks could cause the high CO( 7.24% high idle) and HC( 1546ppm high idle) or will it definitely need more work

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would say its rather unlikely, but the exhaust needs to be pretty sound anyway for accurate analysis - although tiny blows are acceptable.
What did the test centre say?
John :)

I do not see minor leaks causing those readings, it looks as if you have a very rich fuel mixture maybe even a misfire?
A lot of things can influence this, when is the last time the engine had a full service?

Sponsored Links
Sorry for the delay replying
The car is well serviced re: plugs oil filters

My thinking is there will still be a sensor issue after the exhaust is repaired

AFAIK exhaust leaks won't cause high CO and HC only lambda

How does the car behave generally.....does it pick up well, have a tendency to stall at traffic lights, uneven tickover or whatever?
Is the engine management lamp on at all?

You will need to check out things like lambda sensor switching if it has them, not easy for a diyer especially if the car has an older diagnostics port.

repaired exhaust and changed plugs-she passed no problem today
car is always well serviced

Excellent! Many thanks for the update. Its very important for cars with minimal pass emissions to get the cat stinking hot - maybe that helped too.

I drove it like a maniac before the test, 93 degrees for test
I threw in 10L of alcalyte petrol into an almost empty tank for test. I hear people are getting very low readings with this fuel

Co was 0.01,HC 18PPM

Sponsored Links
Back