Empty Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have drained down all radiators to disonnect a radiator and to remove some pipe work.

On thing now is I am not sure how to re-fill the radiators. It's a back boiler system. There are valves in the airing cupboard but am not sure if I am meant to fill them up from one of these?

Help would be grateful

Sponsored Links
If you have a back-boiler, you most likely have a feed and expansion tank in the loft, or somewhere else above the level of your highest radiator and the cylinder.

It will probably be plastic, about 1 ft x 1 ft x 18", with a large copper pipe curved over the top of it, a copper pipe coming out near the bottom to top up the radiators, and a ball-valve inside, like in a toilet cistern, fed from the mains or the cold-water tank.

Go and have a look.

See if it has sludge in the bottom; and what colour. If so, bale it out before letting it flow down and refill the radiators.

What colour was the water that came out when you drained the rads? Did you get any sediment?

JohnD said:
If you have a back-boiler, you most likely have a feed and expansion tank in the loft, or somewhere else above the level of your highest radiator and the cylinder.

It will probably be plastic, about 1 ft x 1 ft x 18", with a large copper pipe curved over the top of it, a copper pipe coming out near the bottom to top up the radiators, and a ball-valve inside, like in a toilet cistern, fed from the mains or the cold-water tank.

Go and have a look.

See if it has sludge in the bottom; and what colour. If so, bale it out before letting it flow down and refill the radiators.

What colour was the water that came out when you drained the rads? Did you get any sediment?

Yeah, I checked the cistern and it was full of black smelly stuff. I cleaned as much as I could and the cistern has now filled up with water. Does this mean I have water back in the radiators if the cistern is full?

Try bleeding them and see. Unless you have a blockage it should refill them.

You can buy a chemical cleaner to remove some of the existing sediment from your radiators and pipes; and a Corrosion Inhibitor to stop it happening again.

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Try bleeding them and see. Unless you have a blockage it should refill them.

You can buy a chemical cleaner to remove some of the existing sediment from your radiators and pipes; and a Corrosion Inhibitor to stop it happening again.

Thanks John. The thing is, I think we're contemplating getting a whole new combi boiler central heating system as back boilers are s*it! But for now thanks for the advice!

UPLUMB said:
The thing is, I think we're contemplating getting a whole new combi boiler central heating system as back boilers are s*it! !

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
You have a lot to learn ;)

If I were you, I would keep my old pipes and radiators clean and corrosion-free. You don't want them going wrong before you upgrade; and you might want to re-use some or all of them with your new boiler.

Now you know how to drain and refill your system, you will find it fairly easy.

BTW combis go wrong fairly often, they are much more complicated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back