EMS15 Blue Meter Controlled ECO Water Softener (EMS15)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I'm after a bit of advice - I had a plumber come out to have a look at installing the above water softner.

He didn't seem too interested in the job and put in a ridiculously high quotation.

Having looked online, the average price seems to be between £100-£150 - I was quoted £600.

My question is - has anyone had a water softer installed recently by a plumber and if so, what sort of cost was it?

I can't see how it would take 3 days to install a water softerner. I think the plumber was really trying to do too much work for what is required with him wanting to run new pipework here, there and everywhere.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
To do the job properly he or she needs to:

1. Ensure that the kitchen cold and any outside taps are on non-softened water. This may involve running new pipes to these or the other outlets to ensure separation. Running new pipes can involve lifting floors, drilling walls etc.
2. Possibly ensure that the cold feed to the domestic hot water side of a combination boiler is connected to un-softened water. (Depends on boiler manufacturer).
3. Run a pipe to a drain, preferably internally, to carry way the salt water used to rinse the zeolites. Again, no one can tell without seeing the job how much building work this entails.
4. Run the overflow pipe from the water softener cabinet to outside. Amount of work involved depends on siting and site conditions, but usually not too much.

You could get one or two more quotations, but you need to be sure each person is quoting for the same (thorough) job.

To do the job properly he or she needs to:

1. Ensure that the kitchen cold and any outside taps are on non-softened water. This may involve running new pipes to these or the other outlets to ensure separation. Running new pipes can involve lifting floors, drilling walls etc. - **This is the area in which I will accept the bulk of the cost to come from**

2. Possibly ensure that the cold feed to the domestic hot water side of a combination boiler is connected to un-softened water. (Depends on boiler manufacturer). - **Is a system boiler**

3. Run a pipe to a drain, preferably internally, to carry way the salt water used to rinse the zeolites. Again, no one can tell without seeing the job how much building work this entails. - **Can be tee'd into the washing machine/sink waste**

4. Run the overflow pipe from the water softener cabinet to outside. Amount of work involved depends on siting and site conditions, but usually not too much. **This is the bit I'm not too keen on. The kitchen sink is in the middle of the kitchen and would require a 2m pipe running along the side of the wall in order to drain outside**

You could get one or two more quotations, but you need to be sure each person is quoting for the same (thorough) job.

I've asked another plumber to come and have a look at the job so I can gauge what is a fair price.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back