Emulsion bubbles?

Sponsored Links
Strangely enough I had simialr a few weeks ago. Johnstons mid sheen onto matt (unknown make) Job was an entrance staircase to flats, prepped etc , halfway through got these tiny little blisters as paint was drying. Only in a few areas not all over. first thoughts duhhh grease, but this was about 8ft high no blisters below where i would expect greasy hands etc. anyhow let them dry out, some didnt go back most did, sanded them same as zampa says and they didnt come back!!! Only thing I could blame was; the walls were warm as old people had htg on full blast and bloody cold with doors open to staircase. But have to say am a bit mystified........

How many coats of Johnstons mid sheen did u use and what was the time duration between each coat ?

2, came through in first coat. 2nd coat day later. But strangly the blisters I had rubbed down b4 2nd coat didnt reappear and more came in different areas. all ok in tend tho. Just that I never seen that b4 in the last 30yrs. A temperature prob methinks.

Sponsored Links
5.45pm Monday: I have now asked the "Mods" to add some pictures I have taken of the offending items. Unfortunately, they are not brilliant (the pix, not the Mods - I'm sure they are great!), but you should get the idea. The surface in some areas has got a mosaic sort of cracking effect too now it's dry, just to add to the fun!

All vinyl Soft Sheens do this "confidentincompetent" (i.e. can bubble). However, maybe whats happened is when the the walls were warm as old people had htg on full blast then laybe the heat made the emulsion dry to quickly in areas and resulting in like two coats when rolling the walls (if u see what i mean) ! Also "sparklymarkly" all u have to do is click on "IMAGE" for downloading pics, i think !

Third_Eye said:
All vinyl Soft Sheens do this "confidentincompetent" (i.e. can bubble). However, maybe whats happened is when the the walls were warm as old people had htg on full blast then laybe the heat made the emulsion dry to quickly in areas and resulting in like two coats when rolling the walls (if u see what i mean) ! Also "sparklymarkly" all u have to do is click on "IMAGE" for downloading pics, i think !

No they have to be uploaded to a hosting site first...which is a bit confusing at first bit easy enough afterwards then you ad the url on here...highlight it then click on the 'img' box above.

Don't know what ever happened to the pictures!
I sent them to the hosting site as the FAQ suggested, but still no sign.
Anyway, the walls still looks awful! Even after sanding down all the bubbles, it still started bubbling again after another coat of matt emulsion.
Would sanding and then repainting with vinyl silk be a better option? I really don't want to wallpaper the whole room or try and sand ALL the previous paint off! :cry:

Seems to me by applying silk over silk without rubbing down between these coats (i.e. purple over green), then when miosture gets penetrated from the B&Q Value Matt then the flexibility of silk's are loosing adhesion. OR it could be a caused by the B&Q Value Matt being applied over a silk finish (i.e. the B&Q Value Matt bubbling !) Also, please understand that B&Q Value Matt is like Cheap Contract Matt that is intended to be used as only on breathable POROUS surfaces ! What type of material are your walls Gyproc or Plaster ?

Oky they are plasterboard with a skim coat (dry lined). So where at painting history of your walls is the bubbling starting from i.e. at what in-between coat stages ? Also there may be way to fix your prob but answer this question first on above !

"Painting history" of wall is:
Plasterboard / skim coat / white paint (unknown)/ green silk emulsion /
purple B&Q silk emulsion / B&Q matt magnolia emulsion.

Having sanded down and examined it closely, the bubbling is the purple paint coming away from the green underneath, but breaking through the magnolia top coat. As an experiment, I tried sanding off the magnolia paint in a small area and overpainting the purple silk with more vinyl silk. It still bubbled, though not anything like as bad.
I've now bitten the bullet and have started papering instead, as I'm fed up of it!!
Moral of story: Don't paint over silk emulsion without checking first!

What i was going suggest is rub down on any sheen or shiny surface then wipe off dust. Then fill cut out bubbles and fill with Beeline red devil filler and leave overnight. Sand down filler. The apply all walls with Dulux Trade Oil Based Undercoat and leave dry overnight. Then if any more bubbles then fill again as explained above. Then apply Two coats of Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt over the Undercoat. The theory is the Oil Based undercoat will not allow any miosture to penetrate through the Oil Base when overcoated with Emulsion that is ceating the bubbles between the silks. Though DO NOT apply Oil Based paints on your walls if any sign of dampness.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back