oopps - emulsioning walls and its going horribly wrong!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I though i might have a bit of a problem as last time I emullsioned the walls ( matt) there was very slight bubbling of the paint in some places. I thought it could just be matt on silk paint problem.

before painting I sanded those areas back so the emulsion would key better.

I started painting ( with roller) more bubbles have apeared and the paint lifts.

All the paint layers have gone soft. It will peel off like wall paper if I use a wall paper scraper, leaving a 'glassy' smooth shiny plastered wall underneath.- Is that normal when paint is still wet?

My questions:

Is this happening because the paster is too smooth/not mist coated?

Should I leave well alone and see what still sticks to the wall when the paint is dry, then rectify the bad bits?

All the rooms in the house have the same problem to a lesser/greater extent.

(House is about 15 years old so prob about 4 to 5 coats of emulsion is on the walls).

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the plaster has been 'polished' this causes it to be impervious to moisture so the paint sits on the surface..when you paint over your existing paint some of the moisture in it soaks into the paint below and gets behind it..(think stripping wallpaper)

You could try priming the walls with thinned out dulux stain block, blackfriers problem solving primer or Zinnseer bin.

Failing that...its should all really be taken off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back