Emulsion over oil paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI—Can anyone help.

When I started to decorate my bathroom I noticed that the ceiling appeared to have been painted with matt or silk oil paint.

To make sure, I used an electric hot air gun on the corner of the ceiling and it was definitely oil paint.

I wish to paint the ceiling with silk finish emulsion but will it take over oil paint,

If not, is there a suitable pre preparation I can apply first.

I don’t want to burn off the whole ceiling as it is rather large.

I’ me sure this has been asked before but I can’t find it in any previous posts.

Your expert advice would be appreciated

Cheers and regards,

Tony

Sponsored Links
Hi Tony, Are you sure that the ceiling paint is oil based? what reaction did you get from the paint?

you have a couple of options here mate
1 if the paint on your ceiling is infact oil based paint you can still paint over it as long as the paint has completley cured, by this i mean 4-5 days to dry in a well ventilated area, if it is a glossy or satin finish you will have to either key the surface with a light abrasive, or use a special primer like zinsser B.I.N primer, then coat it up with the finish of your choice

2 if it is emulsion matt, silk or soft sheen, you can just paint straight over it after you have cleaned the surface of any contaminates

hope this helps

Instead of using Zinnser you could just use an oil based under coat and then re-emulsion paint the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
Yes solvent based undercoat would do the trick, but with zinsser you can paint straight onto a smooth or glossy surface and it will be ready to take the top coat in 45 mins.

Hi paintshopmanager, Robbie UK and Big_Vern thank for your advice.

I checked the ceiling paint again as suggested by paintshopmanager by again applying an electric heater gun and using a scraper on to the surface and the paint just pealed off in soft strips. So it’s definitely oil paint (isn’t it?).

So in view of the difference in price between Zinsser and oil based under coat (thank you Vern) I think I will use undercoat as recommended by Robbie UK (thank you Robbie).

Before I start however, one thing I am still not quite clear about, the existing paint is probably 10 years plus in age and is of a flat matt finish so in view of paintshopmanager’s first comments can I paint over it without the under coat. Or have I misinterpreted your post.

Thank you all again for your help and of course your interest,

Cheers and regards,

Tony

It could still be vinyl emulsion, hard to tell without seeing it, if it is emulsion you can justput another emulsion over the top, but to be sure, put the undercoat on, that will solve the problem, but if you want to paint over the solvent based undercoat, please make sure it cures properly.

hope this helps

Hi paintshopmanager--thank you for your reply.

It is clearer now.

In view of what you say ref "it still could be vinyl" I think I had better coat it with under coat to be on the safe side.

Thank you again for your expert advice and for you continued interest.

Cheers and best regards,

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back