En-Suite refurb - shower tiling advice required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Guys - completing a cosmetic refurb to an en-suite - flooring and tiling, new shower etc. Faced the not-so-unusual issue of the existing tiles bonded to adhesive/board and coming away on removal to the extent that it is not repairable, and I will have to re-board.
I would usually use Aquapanel onto stud frame and fully W/P with tape & joint sealer, but looking at the surface wall construction, it appears to be dotted & dabbed onto the rear plasterboard wall, with only 1-2cm separating the boards. No room to stud - see image. Can see the rear boards are tacked to wooden stud - will reveal more with rip-out.

Think that I should replace board via dot & dab, and then tank to seal before over-tiling. Any other brighter ideas?? Thanks
View media item 59432 View media item 59433

Sponsored Links
Hi - with excessive bonding of the old tiles to adhesive/plasterboard, I have removed the existing board from shower-wall and side wall, and will start fresh with Aquapanel for both walls. Plan is to screw to stud structure on shower wall, and on the side partition screw over the existing plasterboards into the studs, taping & sealing.
Would really appreciate the advice guys - is it OK to screw over existing boards into studs on side wall (or is air gap reqd?). Checked and all level with existing dot & dab adhesive removed.
Will be fitting 30x40cm tiles, so will use powder-mix flexi adhesive when all done. Many thanks in advance for valued guidance.

Steve

Guess I am on my own then guys? - just a willing DIY'er, and only after a steer from the real experts.
Rest assured, as a Customer Service Manager for an Automotive Manufacturer in the UK, you will always be assured the courtesy of a response from my team should you need our help. Plumbing forum much more helpful.
I will crack on with my project and hope for the best - thanks.

When you have to 12.5mm plasterboard boarded together it is for fire protection ect..30min..

What type off house is it...?? Semi/mid terrace ect are any off the walls adjoining a neighbour..our is it an outside wall..

Is it a timber house..?

But anyway....yes you can screw your 12.5mm cement board through and onto the stud work...just make sure you use at least 50mm screws to get a good fixing...

Yes bagged flexy adhesive...go with a single part adhesive you will have more working time,and a flexy grout also...

Sponsored Links
Ps
Was only on for few min last night and missed your post mate,surprised it wasn't answered prior.

Hi tictac - Many thanks for this and apols for the delay (Been out of the country on business). Will carry on as planned this weekend.
House is a 1998 detached, and the wall in question backs on to my daughters room. The other wall with shower mounted is stud to external wall
Thanks for the tip on the screws- as for Adhesive, is Mapei Mapeker Rapid Set flexi OK??

Cheers,

Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back