End of the road for Zanussi washing machine?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My flat came with a brand new Zanussi ZWT 71401 WA integrated washer-dryer. It had relatively modest use over the past four years (do on average a wash with a full load once a week and almost never used the dryer function).

In any case about a year ago I went to do a wash, turned the dial and the LCD screen didn't switch on. Tried again several times and nothing. Sometimes I could see the backlight of the LCD switching on, but no numbers were being displayed. However, sometimes, after (literally) 15 minutes of turning the dial and pressing buttons at random, it would "boot up" and it would work normally.

I called a technician and he said there was a short somewhere and it was likely that it was the logic board. He ordered a new logic board, replaced it and the machine seemed to work fine - for a day. Then the problem resurfaced. I called him again, he called up a buddy and he said that the problem was actually with the logic board for the dryer, which was causing the short. He disconnected the dryer (no big deal as I didn't use that function anyway) and since then the machine worked just fine...

...until a week ago when the exact same problem resurfaced again. As before, after a quarter of an hour of randomly turning the dial and pressing buttons it booted up and I managed to do the wash. I've done the reset instructions that can be found online (e.g. https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Zanussi+Washing+Machine+Fault+Code+Reset/34977 ) to no avail.

Currently on holiday, but wondering if I should call a technician again when I'm back to try to get it fixed or just chuck it out and get a new one. Feels like spending a few hundred £ to fix this thing is just a waste of money. Am I right or should I give it another go?

Really frustrated that these things don't seem to last nowadays. My parents still have the same washing machine they had 25 years ago, which they use almost every single day and it still goes like new, and this thing can't even do four years of light use!

Sponsored Links
We have always had Zanussi washers & been happy with them, but all manufacturers some times have duffers. Perhaps if you copied & pasted your question here you may get better advice https://www.justanswer.co.uk/sip/za...XolJ-QvHbY2yk-LZ8f6dljmoiUS3S1MAaAntHEALw_wcB Alternately you could contact Zannusi & ask there opinion about whether you should get recurring problems on a relatively young machine. Also have you googled to see if there has been a product recall on your machine.

As they have not fixed it I would demand my money back and buy a new one. When you employ a service engineer to repair something they are bound by the sales of goods act...they have failed.

As they have not fixed it I would demand my money back and buy a new one. When you employ a service engineer to repair something they are bound by the sales of goods act...they have failed.
Op says fixed a year ago, I don't think you will get a repair guarantee longer than that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Yes, suspect repair no longer under warranty. Might gie the guy a call just in case there is some goodwill there. I have to give the justanswer thing a try. I assume that it will have to wait until it's a working day, though.

Buy a Bosch and be done with the appliance of science.

Ouch! Had I known this when the original fault developed! Thing is that although the washing machine has been in use for a bit under five years, the flat where we live remained unoccupied for two years before we moved in so the machine is technically closer to seven years old. Sigh...live and learn I guess...
Buy a Bosch and be done with the appliance of science.
I've been giving this a lot of thought. I have a sort of shortlist for possible replacements and https://www.bosch-home.com/mt/products-list/WIW28301GB#/Tabs=tab-8225085/ is one of the options, although it is almost £700 and only C-rated in terms of energy efficiency (probably a key consideration given current - and future - energy prices). I've also considered something like https://www.currys.co.uk/products/h...1600-spin-washing-machine-white-10212912.html . Cheaper, A-rated and with apparently more functions, but have no experience in terms of how reliable the brand is...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back