End-treads for open string on staircase

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. New to this board so please be gentle, especially if I've used the wrong terms without realising.

I've started renovating a staircase in a Victorian house (took the panelling off, put in spindles) and I'm struggling to complete it. Basicalling I have an outer string which is open, so you see the full profile of the step. The thing is, each step has a nose, and there is a gap at the outer end of the step where something obviously used to go so that the nose carried on at a right-angle so that there's a more attractive finish to each step at the outer string. What is it, and where do I get it?

If you can make sense of that, thanks. If you can tell me what the name of the thing I'm looking for is, even more thanks. If you can even help me find whatever it is I'm looking for, even more thanks than that!

Sponsored Links
Sounds to me like the stairs were "on string" design originally and then the original spindles would have come down onto the treads rather than the string. Subsequently some one has cut the ends of the treads flush with the string so they could panel.
Can't be sure though, as masona said a picture or two would be good.Does it look as if that could be what has happened?

Chappers, you are bang on.

Here are some pictures:

Square on view:
stairs1.jpg

Slightly angled:
stairs2.jpg

Angled from top:
stairs3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Could you not plant another string on the outside of it?

I thought about that but it won't work for the following reasons:

1. the hallway is quite narrow and sticking another string on the outside would make it seem even narrower

2. the string wouldn't be flush with the spindles so the inside of any other string I put on would look odd (i.e. it might look ok on the outside but if you were walking up the stairs you'd still see the bottom of the spindles and the patch job)

I've found a picture of the kind of thing I'm looking for. Now all I need is for someone to tell me where I get the 'return treads'. Help!

ds-21.jpg

Best bet is to pop down to your local joinery shop and they will make the correct size for you then cut off the length. You will need to do a mitre joint on the corner and a smalll piece on the return. It's known as bullnose tread.

Its madness why people ever did these sorts of things, is it just a straight flight or does it have winders or any half/quarter landings as you could get a straight flight for as little as £250

masona - thanks for the terminology. Should help a lot.

chappers - It's got a turning somewhere, although it's a typical (from what I know) Victorian set up, with the stairs going up to one level with a couple of rooms straight ahead and, if you do a u-turn, then three more steps up to another couple of rooms.

just like my house, sounds like you'll be better off trying to fix some nosings to the ends where they have been cut off.

Might be an idea to make a L-shape bullnose if possible (1 piece section)so the mitre joint won't open up over the period of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back