End user boiler choice advice please

Thanks for the advice and the recommendation Dilalio. I do not know my installer as I got his name from the Viessmann site but he strikes me as being professional and takes pride in his work. I will certainly pass on the name. Intergas is Dutch when I looked them up and they have been going for quite some time. The only reservation would be that if my guy has never put one in maybe it would best if I was not his first customer for them ! I know he knows the Viessmann and Baxi kit so presumably he knows all the tips and tricks with them that he has picked up over the years.

I think I am going for the Viessmann. It sounds a bit mad but it is on the basis of it being heavier and bigger. It is also a bit more powerful and on this freezing cold morning in February more power sounds good :)

Thanks again
Paul

Sponsored Links
I think I am going for the Viessmann. It sounds a bit mad but it is on the basis of it being heavier and bigger

You're not wrong there Paul. If the Baxi at 30Kw is sufficient to heat the house, then the extra 5Kw on the Viessmann is just a waste, and the case may be bigger, but the parts can fail just as easily. As you don't know the installer personally, and it seems as though you've only had a choice of 2 boilers from just one installer, I would suggest you call Intergas and get one of their installers out, and even call a couple of other guys as well. You're here for advice, and you're free to reject it, but we'd always suggest getting three quote, whatever you do.

'Probably make good boilers'. A lot said the Ideal were good boilers.... The Intergas is tried and tested by a number of contributors to this forum, who are happy to recommend it by past experience. They also know which to avoid!

Ultimately the boiler these folks fit is also their reputation, an installer who fits a quality product and isn't seen again for a year until they come to carry out the first annual service is going to be more highly thought of than one who eventually stops answering the phone as they've been out to the same installation about 6 times already and it STILL isn't working properly.....

I know which one I'll be having when the time comes.

Sponsored Links
as they've been out to the same installation about 6 times already and it STILL isn't working properly.....

which could be either (1) an unreliable boiler properly installed or (2) a reliable boiler incorrectly installed.

is tried and tested by a number of contributors to this forum, who are happy to recommend it by past experience.

Experience as an installer / service technician is not the same as the experience as a day to day owner / user of the same boiler.

Is the active membership of this forum truly representative of the whole UK plumbing and heating industry ?.

Experience as an installer / service technician is not the same as the experience as a day to day owner / user of the same boiler.

Is the active membership of this forum truly representative of the whole UK plumbing and heating industry ?.

I would say so. There seems a good cross section of people and experiences, from across the Country. All give up their time to help others, there is no financial gain to be had by promoting a particular manufacturer through this platform.

Likewise, there is nothing to be gained by giving out poor/wrong/dangerous advice. The industry has a poor enough image already sometimes, at least by looking here people might realise not everyone is out to rob them....

Some of the lesser known manufacturers of heating components do seem to be under represented here. They are lesser known to the general public but known to heating engineers who do not post on this forum. So the general public who come to this forum do not get the full picture of what is possible.

The industry has a poor enough image already sometimes

Yes, regretably it has, probably because plumbers with GasSafe are assumed by the general public be "well informed" about which is the best system / manufacturer for their heating and hot water requirements. All too often the plumber supploes and installs a system that best suits his time and profit. That biased advice leading to a less than optimum system for the client does give the trade a bad reputation.

here is nothing to be gained by giving out poor/wrong/dangerous advice
Poor advice includes quoting the manufacturer's un-realistic claims for efficency to "prove" the plumber's favourite boiler is the best in the world.

Good advice includes providing the more important real life efficiency that the client will experience with the boiler installed in their home. With some types of boiler to provide those real life efficiences would result in the client choosing a different type of boiler. If the plumber is "tied" to that one type of boiler then that plumber will not get the contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back