URGENT boiler problem - any advice please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a 1987 floor standing ideal mexico boiler that has started playing up.

It is in the cellar of our house and i went down this morning to find the cellar very humid and a smell of fumes coming from the boiler. The big vent pipe coming out of the top was cold and i'm sure it's usually quite warm when the boiler's running. CH was still OK but i've turned them off now to stop the fumes. The fumes seem to be coming from the back of the boiler.

I'm trying to find an engineer to take a look (i'm in the halifax area if anyone can recommend one) but in the meantime does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
Get someone in to have a look. You have a serious problem and carbon monoxide is spilling from the boiler. In the meantime DON'T use it.

It seems this is a conventional flue boiler and either the boiler or the flue has become blocked.

Has anyone covered up the permanent ventilation to the outside?

When was it last serviced by a registered engineer who would have identified any ventilation issues?

Tony

It was last serviced in 2008 by British Gas i think.

I turned the boiler off when i noticed the problem this morning.

I'm guessing the flue must be blocked inside the boiler somewhere as the pipe is cold as it comes out from the top of the boiler?

Rob

Sponsored Links
It really does need a gas engineer as its very dangerous.

Almost all these issues are caused by a lack of ventilation.

BG would have checked in 2008 but do you know where the ventilation is? Has it been blocked?

Tony

That old, you might be eligible for a grant to update it to an A-rated condensing flue boiler.

Hi,

Just an update,

Got a boiler engineer out and showed him the problem - he went back outside to get some tools and when he came back in, switched the boiler back on and it started working and venting OK again :confused:

He said it may have been something blocking the flue that's freed itself up. Boiler has been running for over an hour with no problems now. I've put a CO detector near the boiler so if it happens again I should be warned.

Thanks for the advice

Rob

It needs further investigation,it may of been adverse weather affecting the flue but do not rely on the sensor they can and do give misleading results,get it inspected flue flow and spillage tests and a proper inspection carried out for ventilation/termination/routing/safe operation

Hi,

Just an update,

Got a boiler engineer out and showed him the problem - he went back outside to get some tools and when he came back in, switched the boiler back on and it started working and venting OK again :confused:

He said it may have been something blocking the flue that's freed itself up. Boiler has been running for over an hour with no problems now. I've put a CO detector near the boiler so if it happens again I should be warned.

Thanks for the advice

Rob
I'm not in the same qualified league as these fair lads on here but I always play safe, I would be very very wary how something could block a flue outlet and free itself off, he's either being less than honest with the truth of the problem or gambling with your life, other than that a 'Great Bald Eagle' landed on your outlet and changed its mind.

Mick.

as others have mentioned i am wary of the comment it has fixed itself, ok i have done spillage tests which have failed then passed due to inclement weather and i have explianed this to the customer, not that the flue has fixed itself, get a decent CO alarm (SF350 is one i use) it would give us/you a better peace of mind as well as another safety check cant be too safe

Hi,

Following my post last month, I got the boiler serviced today.

The guy has disconnected the boiler and told me it is unsafe due to flue problems.

Basically he said that the flue is not working properly and the boiler is fuming into the cellar intermittantly.

The flue runs from the cellar up to the top of the roof so a blockage would be hard to find i suspect.

Do i really need to buy a new boiler or is the guy likely to be trying it on?

Rob

I think that its well established that there is a problem with the flue!

It can be inspected but that can sometimes be difficult.

I have asked you about the permanent ventilation but you have not answered.

Tony

hi tony,

sorry - didn't see your question about ventilation.

there is a vent in an external door next to the boiler - it's not blocked.

do you know if it would be possible to replace the flue on an old ideal mexico - it seems a bit extreme to replace a boiler because of a flue problem

Rob

I would not spend hundreds of pounds replacing a flue on a 20+ year old boiler, get a new one you tight ***!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back