Energy efficient roof windows & building control

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in process of building a large extension with a general idea of maximising insulation and making it energy efficient) As part of this, I have designed my own non-opening roof windows and got a glazing company to build it for me. Windows are safety glass built to relevant BS, argon triple glazing with centre pane insulation value of 0.5W/m2K. Glass is oversized to allow for insulation with aluminium frame section. Just as I was getting ready to put them up, building inspector stopped me and told me he won't accept this as, in his own words, 'its not velux, i don't want you calling me back when you got a problem'. I assured him he's the last person I would contact (we are not friends :LOL:) but he's refusing to budge on this. They are not specifically contravening any particular building regs - he has just never come across them before. Both my architect, roofer and structural engineer who designed timber support are on board and don't see any problems.
Extension was built on notice with preliminary arcihtects drawings submitted but I didn't want to get collared with full plans submissions as I wanted to be able to change elements as I go.

What can I do in this instance to get this through? Can I get it signed off as exception, insured or anything at all (short of getting BBA approval)?

Sponsored Links
If you have certification or similar from the manufacturer that they achieve the required U Value he is obliged to accept them. Has your manufacturer not supplied or is unwilling to supply something along those lines?

I have documentation that glass is toughened to BS EN12150 as well as glazed to BS EN1279. Its the frame construction he's not happy with as there is no flashing kit like with Velux - it has to be weathered by the roofer and the frame has not been tested as it was designed bespoke for the project.

So who made it? You or a glazing manufacturer? Your first post says a glazing company built it for you, the you say you built it? If you are saying you designed it then had a company make it for you, you should have made sure they would be able to provide some kind of certification. Again, have you asked them if they will provide something stating what U Value it achieves? If not why not? Your Inspector only has your word that they achieve the regs atm. If you're gonna do things on a Notice you need to know all this stuff, that's the whole point!

What else have you done to upset him .............

Sponsored Links
I did the design for the kerb/frame for the glass units and got a local company to build it for me (aluminium construction).

I then got the glazing company to make the glass units based on my measurement and seal it to the frame. The finished job looks professional in an industrial sort of way - its not Velux but thats ok.

Glazing company have provided documentation stating U-value & BS standards compliance for the glazed units inside the frame. They also give guarantee on the glazed units as that is what they make - not for the product as a whole. And finally, the weathering itself is done by my roofer based on his experienced judgment rather than using a pre-fabricated kit.

As far as the inspector - its personal rather than related to his day job :LOL: He's been itching to find something from beginning and was practically hopping with excitement when he saw the windows. :rolleyes:

Oh and also - frame has inbuilt 50mm PUR insulation and will be further insulated with PUR plasterboards internally. So insulation wise, it should be 0.5W/m2K for the whole window. And I can prove that.
Only thing I can't prove is that its not going to leak in 1 or 5 years time as its not a tested product. To my knowledge, there is only few roof window companies like Velux and Fakro who bother with BBA certification and can prove that though.

So he is concerned about the weather tightness of the structure ?? Will he not discuss any possible solutions with you ?? Can you not talk to a more senior BCO to try and resolve the issue, remember you are a customer and take it higher up to management level if need be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back