Building regs: Wooden single glazed windows plus Secondary glazing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all

We are converting a 8X8 garage (lawful development) and have two wooden windows of old we would like to keep. The garage is single skin so we are making inner stud walls (room-in-a-room construction) with sound bloc plasterboard & appropriate insulation.

The wooden windows are in a good condition with around 6-7 cm thick frames and are single glazed (3-4mm). I would like to keep the frames, re-affix them at a slightly lower height, and draught-proof them well. Also would like to replace the present panes with 8.8 acoustic laminated glass (there is enough thickness to the frame etc though will need to upgrade hinges). Then the inner leaf (the stud wall) will get the secondary glazing with 10.8mm acoustic glass. The primary purpose is high degree of sound insulation, but also keep the building regs happy. We are not a listed building.

Will that be something acceptable to building regs? If I am using the same frames, changing the glass & draught-proofing them, can they force us to change to double glaze? I guess secondary glaze is double glaze on the double (excuse the pun).

Cheers

Fib

Sponsored Links
Garage conversion will require building regs and the windows you propose wouldn't meet regs in terms of E glass, trickle vent etc..

You can keep the frames and use DG units.

Or you may get away with secondary glazing but it will need justifying .... and will look crap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back