Regs? -Replacing/repairing rotten French door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to determine if building regs apply to some maintenance/repair I need doing and wondered if anyone here could advise?

My house (circa 1914) has external, single-glazed, timber French doors (old but probably not original, unlike all other windows/doors).

The frame houses two doors and above these, two windows. The door style is Pattern 70 (54'x78'), i.e. each door comprises 4 single-glazed glass panes. The windows above are each about the size of one of the door panes and comprise 4 panes of single-glazed, old-style obscured glass. The frame and windows are OK but the two French doors are rotting badly on the external side (though still surprisingly draught-free and water proof internally!). One is rotten up to middle of door (2 panes) and other up to bottom quarter of door (1 pane). I need to replace/repair the rotting doors but am not sure if this will need to comply with building regs.

Does anyone know if regs apply to:

(1) door repair by joiner? - though I'm guessing rot is too extreme for joiner to cut out & replace.

(2) replacement of doors only? - I want to keep the frame & windows and retain the look of the original doors but am uncertain this will be possible if I need to comply with regs. and use double/reinforced glazing (thicker bars needed?).

The rest of the property has original, single-glazed, sash and casement windows (again all surprisingly draught-proof) and I'm thinking double glazing in the French doors will also look odd in comparison.

Any clarification re. regs. appreciated.
Cheers

Sponsored Links
B/regs will not apply for repair/maintenance for doors and window frames, but will apply for replacement

Cheers - wonder if one can argue that 'replacing doors' of door/frame/window unit is actually just a 'repair' of the whole unit......I just want to 'replace' the rotten bit (doors) of the existing unit, not the whole thing.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back