Building Regs for external doors

31 Oct 2007
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new front door and new advice on building regs. Do i need to fit a part L compliant door if it is a replacement? If i renew the frame as well does that mean a part L door??

Both types of door available with obvious difference in price. Also looked up regs to find out and still non the wiser.

If I change the frame, there is a glazed panel above the door, which will be changed as part of the frame and I will get the right spec double glazed glass panel for insulation. I will only do this if a door only swap needs building control. Do Building control look at draft proofing, as that seems to be a bigger thermal loss than having a well insulated door material.

Just as another twist, If I put a letter box opening through a new door, that will change its thermal props. Would building control sign that off?

Also do I need to call out building control for this. Seems a bit much for just swaping a door?

All this for a simple door swap!!! Please save me someone!!

Any advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Door AND frame requires building regs. Door only requires regs only if the new door has more than 50% glazing.
Or get a FENSA registered installer to fit & supply you with a certificate of compliance; safety glass must be fitted in critical locations.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links