New front door and U values

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm looking to replace the front door on my 17 year old home. The door is made of hardwood and single glazed glass, and isn't particularly well fitted.

I'm looking to replace both the frame and door with a factory made, good quality oak engineered door and found this one: Chatsworth Oak Tripple Glazed

The U value of this door is 1.9W/m2K and I've just read that since 2010 Building Regulations part L requires doors in new or existing homes to have a U value of 1.8W/m2K or less.

I will be looking for a local joiner to fit the new door and frame, and I suspect he won't care about U values. Does it really matter if I fit this door and frame, which is bound to be better then the existing 17 year old door?

I'm wondering how building control would ever know that I had "contravened" the building regulations if I have this door fitted?

Sponsored Links
Okay thanks, I thought as much. It seems that building regs on existing homes for things like this are a bit pointless. I assume it really only becomes an issue when selling a home and then only if someone knows that something has been changed and requests proof that the building regs have been met. We recently had an extension built and got a certificate for the electrics, but I can't imagine it would ever be required, except for when/if we sell up and move.

Sponsored Links
As long as the door is less than 50% glazed no building regs are required, It just needs to be fitted with the correct safety glass

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back