Regs for installing replacement used wooden front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm doing a property refurb and the building inspector seems happy enough with the work I have done so far, adding en-suites etc.

It is an Edwardian terrace, and I had intended to replace the existing wooden front door with a composite door.

However, the door opening is quite narrow and by the time I allow for the frame, the door will need to be quite small.

I have come across a period door which I can restore, and which would look great painted with new furniture. The door has a small single glazed arch.

Are there any building reg issues to consider before installing this door ?

Might he ask for paperwork and U values for a period door ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
As long as the door is less than 50% glazed no building regulations apply.
He may want the glass upgraded to safety glass though.

Thanks for that.

It is a lot less than 50%

Can you point me in the direction of where that rule/reg is ?

newdoor.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think that it's okay to replace the door, but once you have to replace the frame, that's when you need building regs approval. But looking at the state of that door, I'd start looking for another one.

This is from the Fensa website, Its right at the bottom.
You can change the frame too without regs.

What has to be certified?
Where a window or windows is/are completely replaced (as opposed to repaired) in existing dwellings, they must comply with Approved Documents Parts L1B and K4 (England) or N (Wales) (safety in relation to impact). In addition, the building should not end up with a worse level of compliance with respect to other applicable parts of the Building Regulations, which includes Parts A (Structure), B (means of escape in case of fire), C (Moisture Penetration, F (ventilation), J (combustion appliances and fuel storage systems), M (access for the disabled) and Regulation 7 (Workmanship and Materials).

The Building Regulations for replacement windows state that "The situation must be made no worse than the outgoing windows". For example if the outgoing windows contained trickle vents the new placement windows must include them.

Windows and doors in critical locations ie windows below 800mm from floor level and doors where the glass comes within 1500mm of the floor level to the start of the glass must contain safety glass (toughened or laminated) and must include the relevant safety mark clearly visible to comply with Approved Document N.

Compliance with the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 is also essential.

FENSA does not apply to conservatories, porches, commercial premises or new build properties or extensions. In all of these instances you are required to go through the Local Authority Building Control process. If your property is a flat then planning permission may be required before replacing your windows, therefore it is advisable to check this with the Planning Department of your Local Authority. If planning permission is required a FENSA registered company can register the installation for certification purposes. If you live in a property that is a Listed Building and wish to replace your windows this would fall under the jurisdiction of the relevant Local Authority therefore planning permission would be required and the installation cannot be registered with FENSA.

Doors with less than 50% glazing do not require registration.

FENSA also does not apply to caravans or holiday chalets.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back