Energy Efficient Wall Mounted Electric Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I need to replace the existing wall mounted electric radiators in my bedrooms (11sq.m & 15sq.m each). Would it be possible to please tell me which brand of wall mounted electric radiators would be the best in terms of energy efficiency as I need to keep the electricity bills in check. Note that gas, water & underfloor heaters are not an option for me.

Thanks in advance
:)
Cheers,
Ducky

Sponsored Links
I need to replace the existing wall mounted electric radiators in my bedrooms (11sq.m & 15sq.m each). Would it be possible to please tell me which brand of wall mounted electric radiators would be the best in terms of energy efficiency as I need to keep the electricity bills in check. Note that gas, water & underfloor heaters are not an option for me.
Since one cannot defy the laws of physics, any electrical heater will output the same amount of heat for a given usage of electricity - and are all, to-all-intents-and purposes."100% efficient". The only differences you may perceive in relation to the heating relates to the way in which the amount of heat in question is distributed within the room - but that is unlikley to vary much between different 'wall-mounted radiators' of the same electrical power.

As you presumably know, unless you have an exceeding well-insulated home, heating by electricity is fearfully expensive.

Kind Regards, John

A number of points.
1) Speed is important, if you need a room for 2 hours, and it takes the heater 1 hour to heat room before it can be used, then heater is 66% efficient, however if it heats room in ½ hour then 80% efficient, but if room used 24/7 then all are 100% efficient.
2) Heat pumps will use less power, however are large, and not silent, so although theory may say fit a heat pump, which can likely heat and cool, in practice they not be suitable.
3) Inferred heaters don't heat the air, they heat what ever they are aimed at, so are instant, however also instant off, so control is hard and although it can supplement other heating it is useless as sole heater.
4) Heat in a room can be localised, so you can be warm in front of a coal fire, yet there is ice forming on the windows (pre-double glazed) this can be both good and bad, blowing hot air onto a cold wall or window will cost so there is a trade off.
So fan heater cheapest to run with well insulated room as fast warm up, but noise is a problem, so in real terms any panel heater will be the same, using tungsten lighting which gives off inferred may reduce the air temperature required, so in winter tungsten bulbs, in summer LED, I have loads of tungsten bulbs, but will stick with LED, as can't be bothered swapping bulbs all the time as tungsten blow every few weeks.

As long as you avoid really heavy heaters which have long warm up time, in real terms they are all the same.

Thanks John. I can see that there are some radiators that advertise being more energy efficient than others by adjusting the amount of power that they use with effective temperature control systems. Hence why I asked the question at the start of this thread. My existing radiators have no such functionality. Hence I wanted to know which radiator brand would be the best at this.

Sponsored Links
Thanks John. I can see that there are some radiators that advertise being more energy efficient than others by adjusting the amount of power that they use with effective temperature control systems. Hence why I asked the question at the start of this thread. My existing radiators have no such functionality. Hence I wanted to know which radiator brand would be the best at this.
I suppose it depends upon what you mean by 'energy efficiency'. As I said, any sort of electrical heater will be essentially "100% efficient", in the sense that for a given amount of energy (electricity) usage, they will all produce the same amount of heat - as I said, that simply down to the Laws of Physics.

It therefore follows that if heater A uses less energy (electricity) than heater B, it will produce less heat. If B would produce more heat than you need, then that's fine. I would have thought, but don't know, that most 'electric radiators' will have a thermostat, and that is really all the 'temperature control' that's needed. If any product claimed to save energy ('be more energy efficient' - essentially a marketing phrase) by have some sort of 'clever' temperature control system, I would be suspicious - as I've said, the thing to remember is that less energy means less heat, and there's no way of getting away from that.

Others may have makes that they could recommend to you, but I doubt that their recommendation would relate to 'better energy efficiency'.

Kind Regards, John

It's all just dishonest advertising nonsense.

Thanks John. I can see that there are some radiators that advertise being more energy efficient than others by adjusting the amount of power that they use with effective temperature control systems.

One of the energy saving factoids bandied about (I don't know how accurate it is) is that turning down the room thermostat by 1°C can reduce the bill by 10%. If a more accurate thermostat can avoid the hysteresis of a bimetallic thermostat then you might get some slight saving in money. But if you save £50 a year it will take 8 years to pay back the extra cost of a £400 heater - and some of these 'eco' heaters filled with magic German fairydust cost a lot more than that.

The real saving with electric heating is to go to Economy 7 and night storage heaters and hot water. If by any chance you already have storage heaters do not replace with panel heaters as your bills may triple even though you're using less electricity, because peak rate electricity costs a lot more.

The real saving with electric heating is to go to Economy 7 and night storage heaters and hot water. ...
As I've said a number of times recently, the benefit of E7 (which I have, even though I do not have storage heaters) is sinking fast. For many years up until a year or two ago, the day:night cost ratio was fairly constant at about 2.5:1 but things have changed rapidly in recent times, and one is now lucky to get 1.5:1.

The following shows the situation here. The modest improvement in April of this year was due to a change of supplier. As you can see, E7 is still worthwhile for me, but less so than in the past, and I suspect that the benefit is going to continue to reduce (and may even 'reverse {cheaper electricity during daylight hours!} if large-scale EV take-up ever happens) ..

upload_2019-8-9_21-25-42.png

Kind Regards, John

One of the energy saving factoids bandied about (I don't know how accurate it is) is that turning down the room thermostat by 1°C can reduce the bill by 10%.
That might be true, arithmetically, but then one might not be as warm as one wants, therefore it is meaningless.

It is no better than saying one can save petrol by not going somewhere you want to go.

That might be true, arithmetically, but then one might not be as warm as one wants, therefore it is meaningless. It is no better than saying one can save petrol by not going somewhere you want to go.
Indeed, that's really the corollary of what I said, when I wrote ...
.... It therefore follows that if heater A uses less energy (electricity) than heater B, it will produce less heat. If B would produce more heat than you need, then that's fine. ...
Mind you, what Owain then went on to say is presumably true - that IF one could change the thermostat to one with less hysteresis, so that there were less excursions of temperature to above 'how warm one wanted', then that would result in some energy saving.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, there is abrand that does (or did, when I think about it it's been a while since I heard them on the radio) a lot of advertising that claims to be more efficient. As said, that is just plain dishonest.
If you read their blurb, then it's clear that by "efficient" they mean "better controlled". If you redefine efficiency in terms of energy input needed to maintain comfort then they are correct - because close control of the temperature will reduce energy input. Along with the electronic control, they also have a verg low thermal mass which significantly helps.

If we think what goes in must come out, then as long as no energy goes up a flue or is in some other way removed from the house, they are 100% efficient, so a tungsten lamp is 100% efficient as all energy in comes out into the home both lighting and heating the home.

However we don't look at it that way, we consider a lamp is to produce light, so any heat is waste, even in the heart of winter.

So a heater can heat using conduction, convection and radiation simple school education, other than using a heat pump, what goes in must come out, however not quite that simple, if the heater can make us feel warm without heating the air as hot, then air changes in the house will lose less energy, so it is a case of combining the convection and radiation in a way that allows us to heat the air less yet maintain control.

Inferred has a problem in switch off and one feels cold and switch on we feel hot so switching it on/off in the normal way does not work, so we want a fast acting semi-conductor switch which alters the mark/space ratio to adjust the output of an inferred heater, and we also want to combine it with convection so a heater can be made to make us feel comfortable, using a lower air temperature so is more efficient.

So if you normally heat the air to 20°C but by using a heater which combines inferred with convection you feel as warm at 18°C and the outside temperature is zero then there is clearly a saving, simple maths 20/18*100 = 111% efficient or if you say can't have over 100% then non inferred is only 90% efficient, in real terms not as simple as that as heat loss in the home is not linear, but in real terms a radiator black in colour is likely to give off inferred and white in colour unlikely, but it would also need a thermostat which was using the mark/space ratio and switching at around once a second, and any mechanical thermostat would not last long doing that.

So there is some truth in the claim that one heater is more efficient to another, however not sure if you could measure it, and you would need to be in line of sight to the heater, so if we consider the three bar electric fire with the quartz tubes that glow red, they have the ability to be more efficient to a oil filled radiator, but only if we can control them so they switch bars on/off automatic to maintain the lower air temperature and we sit so in view of the bars, plus curtains are closed of course as inferred can pass out of windows as we know when we feel the suns heat in the other direction.

I honestly feel the chance of controlling the inferred to really gain money due to using less power is slight, so even though possible, and can't say adverts are untruthful, I think it hardly matter what heater you get. To be more efficient one has to have a bench mark, so if we say the bench mark is the heat pump and that is 100% then the panel heater is maybe 92% efficient but if the panel heater is the bench mark then panel heater is 100% efficient.

So if we look at a 58W fluorescent tube, with a HF ballast and compare to a LED with a switch mode driver than the LED is maybe 5% more efficient over 10.000 hours life, but three times the price, so more costly to use, so money wise fluorescent still wins. But compare to tungsten it's very different when used in open air, but when used indoors then heat has also to be considered.

Simple fact, if from outside your home you can see when the lights are on, you must be wasting energy, you want all the light energy to turn to heat before it leaves the house not after, so black curtains in winter, white in summer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back