Energy Efficient Wall Mounted Electric Radiators

As I've said a number of times recently, the benefit of E7 (which I have, even though I do not have storage heaters) is sinking fast. ... I suspect that the benefit is going to continue to reduce (and may even 'reverse {cheaper electricity during daylight hours!} if large-scale EV take-up ever happens) ..

E7 as a fixed time tariff is probably on the way out, but storage heating if properly implemented is very useful as part of a smart grid as it's a big load that can be switched on and off with neglible inconvenience to end users. As gas boilers aren't supposed to be fitted after a few more years there's have to be some way of making sure that electric heating doesn't use the most expensive peak-demand power.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, that's really the corollary of what I said, when I wrote ... Mind you, what Owain then went on to say is presumably true - that IF one could change the thermostat to one with less hysteresis, so that there were less excursions of temperature to above 'how warm one wanted', then that would result in some energy saving.

Kind Regards, John

Or even better, a heater which offered variable output power, to suit the heating demand, rather like a modern gas boiler or my electric shower.

E7 as a fixed time tariff is probably on the way out,

In my area, SSE has introduced a 7-hours overnight tariff aimed at electric vehicle owners. They won't allow anyone to have it who can't prove they have an EV, and I can't even see the price.

When the country is stuffed with nukes and windpower, there'll be a lot of spare energy available off-peak.

In my area, SSE has introduced a 7-hours overnight tariff aimed at electric vehicle owners. They won't allow anyone to have it who can't prove they have an EV, and I can't even see the price.

When the country is stuffed with nukes and windpower, there'll be a lot of spare energy available off-peak.

What, you mean like yesterday?

Sponsored Links
yes, there was a lot of wind energy yesterday.

are you suggesting that it was responsible for two different power stations breaking down?

Are you Andrea Leadsom?

yes, there was a lot of wind energy yesterday.

are you suggesting that it was responsible for two different power stations breaking down?

I would not dare suggest any such thing, I'll wait for the eventual promised port mortem.

How does that differ from E7? If I had an EV, I could charge it overnight and 'enjoy' the E7 that everything else in my house enjoys for 7 hours each night - or are you implying that (although you can't see it) the night rate may be cheaper than with standard E7 (or maybe even higher than E7!) ??

Kind Regards, John

dunno. They won't tell me.
It doesn't really seem to make much sense (to have something similar to, but different from, E7) - why does it matter to them whether night-time electricity is used for storage heaters or EV charging?

Kind Regards, John

Or even better, a heater which offered variable output power, to suit the heating demand, rather like a modern gas boiler or my electric shower.
Yes, if such a system were 'perfect', then that would be the ideal. However, if it were less than perfect, I think there might be some scope for it possibly making things worse - if it responded to the temp rising above the desired level by 'turning the power down a bit' (rather than turning it off), one might end up with the temperature remaining above the desired level (with energy implications) for longer, mightn't one?

Kind Regards, John

Having had a very quick look around it seems that a good few suppliers are offering 'EV tariffs'. On the basis of a very quick glance, I can't really see how they differ from standard E7 tariffs, other than that their marketing people are targeting EV users rather than those with storage heaters.

Kind Regards, John

Yes, if such a system were 'perfect', then that would be the ideal. However, if it were less than perfect, I think there might be some scope for it possibly making things worse - if it responded to the temp rising above the desired level by 'turning the power down a bit' (rather than turning it off), one might end up with the temperature remaining above the desired level (with energy implications) for longer, mightn't one?

No it needn't. I have designed such systems for motor speed control, plus crystal ovens, lots of other proportional schemes over the years and they behave perfectly once they have settled to the set point. Even my car's climate control uses the same system again perfectly, varying fan speed and mixer flaps to hold a very stable temperature. My gas boiler's control system also now uses a proportional system, ramping output up and down by interpreting current temperature against the set temperature. The too warm when producing heat and too cold feeling when it goes off is no more.

On/off is so old hat now.

No it needn't. I have designed such systems for motor speed control, plus crystal ovens, lots of other proportional schemes over the years and they behave perfectly once they have settled to the set point. Even my car's climate control uses the same system again perfectly, varying fan speed and mixer flaps to hold a very stable temperature.
Sure, analogue feedback control systems have been around 'for ever' (e.g. 'automatic gain/volume control' in electronic items), and generally work very well. However, my point was related to Owain's earlier comment, in that even a 'proportional' control system is to some extent at the mercy of the the characteristics of the temperature sensor (an issue which does not really arise with things like AGC/AVC).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back