Energy saving bulbs compatible with old dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, trying to find energy saving bulbs compatible with old dimmer (that won't produce buzzing). Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert as I've never used dimmers. But most old dimmers were designed around the properties of incandescent bulbs. Those bulbs took a lot of current and were pretty much just resistive, unlike leds. The subject comes up a lot here and the upshot is usually to buy a dimmer that is designed to cope with led bulbs. There is a brand that gets recommended a lot (which I forget, but someone else will come along with the name). Just replying so as not to give the impression of being stroppy in the other thread.

I recently bought a few dimmerable BC LED lamps from Ikea, to replace existing tungsten GLS lamps.
They seem to work ok with the existing dimmers, no flickering or buzzing.

Sponsored Links
Energenie MiHome do a list of bulbs that will work with their electronic switches which don't need a neutral I have still had problems with some bulbs, it is near impossible to be sure a bulb and electronic switch combination will work without trying it.

Where I can, I use dimming bulbs, be it the dimmer control comes with the bulb, Lampandremote.jpgor the bulb uses zigbee or direct connection to smart life. Only when using a lot of bulbs would I consider unit a dimmer switch, and if using a lot, for example my living room main light has 8 x E14 candle bulbs, then likely the 48 watt will be high enough for the old dimmer to work anyway.

But seem to remember bulb shown cost me £9, it would be hard finding a dimmer switch and bulb for that price, and even if you did it would not change colour to give same ambiance as the bulb shown.

Thanks a lot for the advice. I'll try some of these and see if they work! We have two bulbs only, so will check the wattage.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back