Energy saving bulbs compatable with dimmer switches

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It would appear that after a couple of energy saving bulbs have blown when using the dimmer witch that they are not compatable, is thee a way round this or have I to get rid of the dimmer switch

Sponsored Links
You can get dimmerable CFLs.

By the way you may have blown either the dimmer or the bulbs or both.

Google.

I had this problem in my sons bedroom with the dimmer switch and have since replaced it with a standard switch, the reason I was asking is I have a 26 foot lounge with two chandeliers with three 40 watt bulbs in each and as there are now small energy saving bulbs on the market I just checking before I replaced them. However if these new so called dimmer proof bulbs seems to be having problems also, and I presume would be expensive I think it will be the old ones staying, unless you know something better

Sponsored Links
Didn't it say on the packaging and/or instructions that you couldn't use them on a dimmer switch? :rolleyes:

Do you need dimmers? I mean, if you fit low wattage (3, 5 and 7 watt lamps are available) would you need to dim it?

Or, if you intend to use normal lamps, then you will be using less energy by dimming them.

well no I did not look at the packaging as this was in the early days of energy bulbs and looking at the price of the dimmer compatable it would cost me £36 :eek: to replace the standard bulb and it would seem sensible to use the original bulbs and dim them down which wouldn't be a lot of difference to using an ESB, plus I'm sure I would not use that much to justify spending £36 on bulbs.

Or, if you intend to use normal lamps, then you will be using less energy by dimming them.

not by much. a bulb only emits light once there is already a whole load of current going through it. reducing the current through a bulb by a small amount reduces its light output by a large amount (or more to the point reducing the light output by a large amount reduces its energy consumption by a small amount)

I tested this on my dads 300W up lighter that he dims to save energy, he dimmed it down to I would say less than the level of a 40w bulb (or 7w cfl) and the light was still using 150W. dimmers don’t save much energy.

Well I think I have come to a conclusion with the information you have kindly given me. I believe that as we only use the main lighting for a short part of the evening for eating etc and the rest of the time when watching telly with a table lamp it would seem not a viable proposition spend £36 to change to ESB. I have ESB's in all the other lighting so i suppose I am 80% green :)
Thanks for all your help you all do a great job and I am now going to search for some kind soul to help with loft insulation problems and a Leaking tap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back