Low Energy Bulbs and dimmers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Could someone please explain why they are not compatible?

I had low energy bulbs nearly everywhere in my last house but, when I moved recently, I found that most rooms have dimmer switches. So I am stuck with conventional bulbs. The cost of low energy bulbs is high enough without the cost of replacing all the dimmers!

Incidentally, why does the light output of a low energy bulb never seem to be as great as is advertised? For example, a 20W LE bulb is supposed to be the equivalent of a 100W incandescent, but you only have to put them next to each other to see that the LE bulb is dimmer than the incandescent.

Sponsored Links
The varilight dimmer and switch operated ones state a smooth transistion from 2% to full brightness not stepped.

Hi, trying to find energy saving bulbs compatible with old dimmer (that won't produce buzzing). Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Done. Just comes up when you enter title...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back