Low energy bulbs..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
A relative of mine has put LE bulbs in Two of the upstairs lights. One of the lights is switched using a Dimmer. This is why the lights have been flickering. Changed bulbs back to original,but none of the upstairs light are working. Could putting the Low Energy bulb in have caused the Dimmer not to work at all now? Will also check to see if the CU is split and the RCD on the lighting side hase tripped. Also any loose connections.
Is there anything else I could check for?

Sponsored Links
No that's abut it I think. You might want to take round a spare switch just incase, if you have one lying about.

Oh and some fusewire unless you know they've got MCBs not fuses?

My friend did the same thing, on 2 separate lighting circuits. Both of the dimmers blew. I would advise initially to electrically ISOLATE the lighting circuits, unscrew the dimmers & take a look behind. In the case of my friend it was easy to see that they had blown.

Having put the original bulbs back and switched the MCB back on all is ok...

Thanks for the replies!

Sponsored Links
Hello, seems the lighting curcuit is still not working. They reckon the CU is making a sizzling noise and smells of burnng? could putting a low energy bulb on a dimmer cause an mcb to do this?

Hello, seems the lighting curcuit is still not working. They reckon the CU is making a sizzling noise and smells of burnng? could putting a low energy bulb on a dimmer cause an mcb to do this?

NO!

TURN EVERYTHING OFF AND AWAIT AN ELECTRICIAN!

Caps intentional.

Think thats a good idea, thanks for the reply...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back