"Energy Saving" light bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a GE energy saving bulb from tescos - rated 20W, which they claim is equivalent to a 100W incandescent.

My ar$e.

Subjectively, it's like a 60W bulb.

Is it just GE that are bad? Does anyone make a bulb that actually is as bright as they claim it to be? Or does someone make a 30W bulb (nominally more lke a 150W incandescent I guess, but might actually be closer to the light output of a 100W incan.)

Sponsored Links
i bought some 20 watt ones a few months ago, from Wilkinsons, and they are too bright! we have always had a 60w incandescent at the top of the steps, and these are definitely brighter, to the 100w degree!!!

slippyr4 said:
can you remember what make they are??
they just say "Wilko" on them! Oh, and "made in hungary" ;)
they start instantly too (if a little too dimly), always a benefit.

Sponsored Links
when they talk about equivelent, it refers to lumen outputs. I would suggest what you may have is warm white ones which give of the effect of a much warmer light that appears to be duller. Look again as there are many colour options available. Note they all look the same, you have to read the colour on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back