Energy saving bulbs, what are the ratings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mother has found some compact fluorescent bulbs, still in their boxes, we have nearly all LED lights now, and very few if any BA22d sockets, I picked up the bulb considering if to bin them or keep them.

Reading the box they are on the top of the Energy Saving rating A and are 8W with a lumen output of just 400 lumen. With LED bulbs 8W is not that common of a size, but 9W report an output of 800 lumen twice the output for 1W extra.

Philips CorePro 8W Warm White LED GLS Bulb - Bayonet Cap rated at 806 lumen rating A+ there was no A+ on the old folded tube bulb.

upload_2017-8-17_10-43-17.png
This label really tells us nothing, because not a clue what A, A+ or A++ mean. I found the report on fridges and freezers and the way it is done, you can't compare a upright with a chest or a built in with non built in or even the ones designed for different temperature zones, so an American built in upright freezer could use far more power to a chest freezer but have the same rating.

Every lamp has so much power leak through it without doing anything so it can power PIR's, Dimmer switches, and smart switches so having 10 x 3 watt will have less lumen output to having 3 x 10 watt as all this leakage builds up.

But seeing a chart A++ to E one would expect some where to find a list 10 lumen per watt to 110 lumen per watt and what letter is awarded.

Sponsored Links
The ratings are intended for comparison of the same type of equipment at the point of purchase.
They are useless for anything else, because the way the rating is determined is different for each type of equipment, and old labels can't be compared with new ones as the criteria for each rating has been changed at least once, and new ratings have been added.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back