Energy saving bulbs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to fit energy saving bulbs throughout the house but my problem is that my living room has a Greenbrook timer / switch fitted (this was mainly for security reasons), and one of the bedrooms has a dimmer fitted. All the bulbs I have or looked at say that they can't be used with either of the switches. Why is this the case and what bulbs can I use.

Sponsored Links
Dimmers and some timer do not turn off completely but allow a minute amount of current to reach the lamp. This is not enough to have any effect on a filament lamp. But many low energy lamps will accumulate this trickle of power until it is enough for the map to use and give a brief flash of light even though the switch is OFF.

I use them with timers, give it a try. It won't burn your house down. You might possibly get a flicker and/or reduced life of use.

Sponsored Links
Worth a read anyway

the guy looks like a fluffy thinker to me

"...Many people think this is dangerous, others say there is no problem - exactly the same situation that existed when global warming/climate change was first raised as an issue. While older people may not need to concern themselves, what of small children? No-one really knows, but caution is well advised."

I wonder if he writes on fluoridisation of water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back