Enforcer Backup Battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How would you test the backup battery on a Pyronix Enforcer panel?
As I understand it a standard old type intruder battery is tested using an Act battery tester. Can this be used on the Enforcer battery?
Also how often should the Enforcer battery be changed? Every five years like the old type?

Sponsored Links
Act tester ....no
If programmed for batt load test ...when the panel tells you to replace

Sponsored Links
For standby batteries the test has the reflect the way battery is used.

Put a dummy load on the battery that takes twice the anount of current as the battery would be needed to supply when the mains fails. Measure the voltage 4 times at five minute intervals.

The rate of decline in the voltage will provide a realistic estimate of how long the battery will supply power when the mains fails.

To choose the resistance of the dummy load you will need to know how much current the panel takes from the battery when the mains supply is OFF. then double it.

You will need to know the minimum voltage that the panel needs from the battery.

A 12 volt lamp bulb of suitable wattage makes a good dummy load. Or turn the mains off and measure voltage drop as the battery supplies the panel.
bat graph.jpg

If the estimated time before shut down is too short then replace the battery.

DO NOT FORGET that having tested the battery this way it will need to be recharged before it can take over in a mains failure.

I'm asking that question.

I don't see much point in paying £50 for a maintenance visit from a "professional" if all they are going to do is a walk test and siren test.

I can do that using the app.

Don't have it maintained then....simple ...
I enable the battery load test in the programming and do wireless device battery and signal test on a check BUT ...batteries can just fail any battery test is a prediction!

There is industry standard equipment that is used to test alarm batteries, takes no time at all, your way is not acceptable

As long as both the charging and battery voltages are as required it's the Ah we're really interested in.

A 7Ah battery is replaced at or below 4.55Ah

A 17Ah battery is replaced at or below 11.00Ah

In both cases if the Ah is above and very close to the ones I have given it will be replaced as well.

Note. Alarm batteries are checked once a year for audible only systems and twice a year for signalling systems as per standards.

Hope this helps a little with your understanding of alarm systems.

Unfortunately wireless alarms use an array of non standard alarm battery packs from 4.8 to 12v in nicad , Nimh,lithium types
A standard act or yuasa battery tester is no use when testing the various battery packs

Unfortunately wireless alarms use an array of non standard alarm battery packs from 4.8 to 12v in nicad , Nimh,lithium types
A standard act or yuasa battery tester is no use when testing the various battery packs
This my point and why I asked how it/ifcan be checked.

It seems that there is no way to check a standby battery on a Pyronix Enforcer panel. One just simply has to presume all is ok until you get a fault recorded on the panel. Not exactly very reassuring and quite frankly it suggests a D.I.Y level of equipment.

Not really as the battery is not as important as on a hardwired system as all the devices don't use the control panel for power

Not really as the battery is not as important as on a hardwired system as all the devices don't use the control panel for power

But without the control panel you have no system! Personally I'd like to know if the backup battery still has the capacity to perform during a mains fail rather than leave it to chance.

Should have had a hardwired system ... don't moan about it later ....you made that choice ...get over it or change it !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back