Engine Oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

I have just topped up my vauxhall astra diesel van with 'non diesel' magnetech? motor oil, as the old beast was pretty low ( i wait till the light comes on :oops: ) it took over a litre.

Is this ok to forget about, or do I need to get someone to drain it all down and re-fill with the correct oil ?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your swift reply John.The 'beast' sounds a like someones left a spanner in her !!!
I may drain it down, is 'non diesel' motor 'thicker' than the ordinary ??

I'd say the oil you put in will be fine. At least it'll be better than no oil. Have a look on the container it came in, it will have an SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) classification. That'll tell you what engines it's good for.

Sponsored Links
No. It has an additive to help keep the internal parts clear of carbon build up.I think you may have done engine damage when the oil ran too low.

Did the temp. go up to the top/hot ? i.e. did it overheat ?
Is the rattle coming from the top or bottom of the engine ?
Is there excessive smoke coming from the exhaust ?
Does it sound like a big spanner or a small one ?

;)

Thanks for you comments.
Johhny,
1.To be honest I have a problem with the cooling system so she always runs hot, so I would not have noticed !! :oops: :LOL:

2.The top.

3.Only the dark blue usual small cloud she always spits out in the morning.

4.@10mm ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Cheers, I suppose she'll keep runnning till she stops ! ;)

117k miles with the proper oil and changed regularly , ready for the next 100k miles in my ole P reg Astra :LOL: :LOL:

EddieCurrent said:
The 'beast' sounds a like someones left a spanner in her !!!
quote]
4.@10mm ! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :eek:

Hi Eddie,
You started the "spanner"description !! :LOL:

I think you need to:-
1) Get and use a good oil flush then put in new oil and a filter.
2) Check the oil feed to the camshaft.
3) Check the camshaft lobes for wear.
4) You must find out what is causing the overheating(maybe the
thermostat) and rectify it.

;)

Eddie,

these vauxhall diesels can be a bit rattly at the top and chances are if your oil has been low then your camshaft will be worn, but as long as you sort it & get the right oil in (I'll second flushing and getting the right stuff in, even 1 litre of wrong oil could make a huge difference and is maybe thinner, hence more movement in the parts and more rattle...) and sort the heating problem then chances are a bit of a worn cam won't cause too much of a problem.

What will though is the heating- take the thermostat out completely and see if it still overheats. If it's then fine, fit a new one. If it still overheats then check the water pump is OK. One indicator can be the inside heater blower not being as hot as it could be (meaning not good circulation of water) Also, is it loosing any water? Head gaskets go on these all the time and coupled with loosing oil it could be a problem, esp if it doesn't have the power it used to, but try your thermostst 1st.

Andy.

Thanks for all of your help and advice.

It looks like I am the 'spanner' in this instance ! :oops: :LOL:

I am going to have to get one of those 'car fixers' :( to have a look at 'her' and tell me,
"It'll be about a ton mate, and ready in an hour and a half", as he directs me to a local pub (like I can have a few beers before strolling back :rolleyes: ),

Then upon return he will inform me opolagetically that,
"It's going have to be £170 Guv, we had to replace the placebo gasket (and a few other bits whilst they were at it), and that, with the new oil comes to the £170".

All because 'dopey-nads' put the wrong oil in !!
I didn't think I needed to put oil in her, as the bloke I got 'her' off seven years ago ,said it already had oil in it..... ;)

On a more serious note, I do thank you for your help advice.

BTW Nigel, 156K on the clock.

Just been to Castrol's website. Although you put in Magnatec for petrol engines, it is classified for use in diesel engines so you'll do no harm. The recommended Castrol oil for your engine is Edge Turbo Diesel. But they would recommend that because guess what, that's the dearest one. The alternative is Magnatec 10/40 GTD.

These are the specs for the one you put in. The "CF" is that oil's spec for use in diesel engines. "SL" is for petrol.
Technical Specifications
SAE 10W-40 ACEA A3/B3 API SL/CF

Most oil manufacturers make a "fleet" oil for use in small diesels and petrol engines.
If you only had to top up by just over one litre, that's not a lot in an engine that holds four litres.
Don't get too worried about the oil, a lot of it is oil company hype.

Semi-synthetic diesel oil is what`s recommended (and what we`ve used)..........you can`t run without a thermostat.....I tried after the AA removed it as a get me home ........put in a new one and get a sniff test done @ a decent diesel garage to tell you if the head gaske`ts gone .....mine has`nt ;) :) .....if it has .....scrap it ...it`s not worth the repair cost :cry:

Sponsored Links
Back