Alternator replacement... oil issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm having some trouble with replacing my alternator.
I have removed all bolts and connectors but came across a problem when disconnecting the last one (it's a thick rubber tube). I pulled the tube off and oil began running out of the end. I'd guess i'd had it off for no more than 5 minutes before replacing the tube and calling it a day. (it started to rain anyway
BangHead.gif
)

I've dabbled with bits and bobs with cars and usually through YouTube videos and forums i can repair and replace parts, so it's not as though i'm completely useless at these things it's just that for the most part i follow what has been shown. ie. i know i need to disconnect this piece because that's what the video showed me, but it doesn't always mean i know what it is. So that being said, i'm assuming this is the oil connector. But, i only really read about small amounts of oil coming out, whereas mine was a consistent flow for up to nearly 5 minutes.

I took pictures throughout and i've labelled the pipe I THINK the oil was coming from....

I have a Vauxhall Astra sri ctdi, 05 plate, Diesel.

Please could someone advise me on what to do as i'm not sure where to go from here!

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• InkedIMG_2227_LI.jpg
    InkedIMG_2227_LI.jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 246
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Sponsored Links
The alternator on your Astra also includes a vacuum pump on the back.....this provides a vacuum for the brake servo to work. There isn't anything unusual about this system but I believe yours has its own oil supply to keep the vacuum pump bearings sweet - and that's where the oil is coming from and usually a new alternator is required.
I haven't done this repair but have fitted a new alternator (to a Zafira), so maybe the needed seals are available.....I'd do some Youtube research to see if you can further identify your problem before splashing out.
John :)

Thanks for your reply.
I had already purchased a new alternator and was half way through replacing it. The oil is coming from what i think is the 'oil drain' ? I'm not sure on that though. o_O

The usual method is for a small supply of high pressure oil fed to the vacuum pump, and then returning to the sump by gravity - I guess this is what you see.
John :)

Sponsored Links
I've since learned that it might be the oil return pipe that the oil is coming from?

Do you think then i should just crack on with the replacement and use a pan to catch the oil. Then when the job is done just check my oil levels and top up?

Great, thanks for your help! I’ll resume with the replacement just as soon as storm Dennis has shifted

Back