Engine sounds and dirty oil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I have question regarding my 54 reg 1.5L diesel Renault Scenic (35 000 miles). I have started to notice a strange sound when traveling at speeds above 50 mph (it maybe present at lower speed but is too subtle to hear). The sound is kind of a dull hum like the engine (or somethings else) is struggling.
The car is about to go for a full service and a cam-belt replacement (routine change). I have juts checked the oil and it is very dirty (I cant locate the filter and so I don't know if the filter is now being bypassed but I think it is likely judging by the oil.

My question is simple could the state of the oil be causing the engine to make this sound? If not what should I be expecting when I take it into the garage (for the service and cam-belt change) and mention this noise.
Many Thanks (in advance)
Cheers
Mark

Sponsored Links
35K for a timing belt change? Thats very early for the 1.5 dci. The oil filter is on the front of the engine, upside down, above the alternator and very close to the A/C radiator and its a swine to get at.....original service oil changes were at 18k on these, which was much too long, and now its 12.5k although I do them at 10. The drumming noise could well be a wheel bearing, which you can tell if you coast the car down hill. The diesel oil will always look filthy - I use Millers XFD 5/40 on these engines and a fraction of Renault prices. Cheers John

I'd say wheel bearing too.

Having just had the same sort of thing on a Pug206.

Dull hum, possible blap, blap, blap as the wheel turns.

It will get louder, thats when it gets annoying.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the information.
How much should I expect to be paying for the wheel bearing job - should this be the case.
Many Thanks
Mark

The job time for the bearing is just less than 2 hours per side, and expect an independant garage to be much cheaper than a main stealer. You could get a bearing from a motor factor for around £20 but naturally the fitting garage would prefer to provide that. Cheers John

First thing to do is confirm that it is a wheel bearing.
You need someone who knows about these things to listen to it & confirm it.

Cost me £17 for the bearing & £30 for a guy to fit it.

But then I know a man that can do it.

Ring a few local motor factors/parts suppliers and see how much the bearing costs then ask around a few garages for fitting costs.

A worn wheel bearing guide....if you steer around a right hand bend (roundabout) and the noise gets worse, then its the nearside bearing as there is more strain on it...if the noise ceases then its probably the offside one as its unloaded. Expected on any Renault circa 70k miles! Cheers John

Sponsored Links
Back