Dirty engine oil

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
new engine oil in nissan micra late 2004 with 80+k milage seems to go dirty after about 3/4k

is that normal? i usually leave the sump plug off for about 30 min. when changing, and also put a small amount of new oil through to flush it out but still happens.

Sponsored Links
All depends on what you class as dirty, really.....brown, certainly but not heavy black! Worry ye not though, the engine can handle it but a good quality filter is advised on an engine with such low lubricant capacity.
In the drain tray, oil sometimes looks dirtier than it actually is!
John :)

oh bugger! of course!!
totally slipped my mind about filter! what are the better makes of filter to go for?

Firstly, the lube you need is a 10/40 semi synthetic.
As for filters, well it largely depends on what the motor factor has in stock, but if you don't want the genuine Nissan one, then specify a Blueprint one......same applies for the air filter. I once had a Wix item burst, but that may have been something else.....
The compressible sump plug copper seal is usually a dealer only item, but a squidge of blue Hylomar or similar copes with that.
Enjoy replacing the plugs, if you intend to do that too :p
John :)

Sponsored Links
have a look on the Halfords website, over the past year they have had some fantastic deals from time to time on own-brand and on Mobil oils; sometimes on the 4-litre and sometimes on the 5-litre. Mine uses synth or semi, which is a bit expensive.

I got some fully synth Mobil so cheap that it was not worth buying a 1-litre bottle to keep in the boot for top-up, just got a big one. You can check local stock, and order if necessary

Their own-brand seems to be made by Comma, if you click the link to their Safety sheet.

When there isn't a special offer, Tesco is cheaper, or Wilkinsons for own-brand and Castrol only, who again will order free for collection from your local shop.

In my case, the branded maker's filters are so near in price to substitute brands, that I get the genuine ones. A local motor factor, or online supplier, will usually be cheap. I last got 2 oil filters, 2 new drain plugs with washers, 1 air filter, 1 cabin filter to save paying multiple postage fees.

Back