306 LX DT 1998 (S reg) Oil change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Peugeot 306 LX DT 1998 - Have I messed up an oil change?!

So I was changing the oil on my car, everything was going as expected, removed the sump, oil came out (though not as much as I expected), changed the filter, added some new oil, checked the dip stick - it was completely clear and only showed new oil. Waited some, added some more, checked the dipstick. Did this a few times. I've added 3.5l of oil (most things I've read say it's 4.5 to max). It still wasn't showing anything on the dipstick, so I ran the engine for about 2 minutes. Upon checking the dipstick again, the oil is showing like an INCH above the max line, with black oil.

WTF?!!!

So I though maybe the sump didn't drain completely as the car wasn't on completely level ground (but the sump was lowest point), so I stuck my head underneath the bonnet and to my horror, have noticed another sump plug...

Checking my Haynes this plug is the one that's closest to the oil filter, and I'm pretty sure is the one that I should have used. I removed a plug from molded engine looking place closer to the passenger side of the car.

My question is, which oil have I removed?! And why did the dipstick show clear/no oil before I ran the car?!

Now i'm feeling really stupid, have I broke my car from doing an oil change?!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Is there a problem with your car then? The sump plug to use, if you have two, is the lowest one and to bring the oil to the full level you will need more or less five litres. The oil will tend to turn black very quickly especially if all the old oil was not drained out or it has not been changed for a long time.

Peter

i cant grasp what you have done but it sounds like you drained the gearbox oil
this must be a **** take surely?

Sponsored Links
When you run the engine the oil circulated through it. This will turn the new oil black.

How black depends upon
whether you used an engine flush,
how hot the engine was when you drained the oil,
how long you let it drain for
whether you changed the oil filter (if you didn't change the filter you've pretty much wasted your time and the new oil).

Hope this helps.

Haha! To the guy that thought it was a **** take, that's how I felt.

To conclude:

Yes, I had managed to drain the gearbox oil. Oops.

My thoughts are that when I removed the oil filter, it dropped the main engine oil sufficiently so that the old black oil didn't show on the dipstick. Then when I ran the engine and it all mixed up, showing me I was WAY overfull.

In the end (this is for people who do endless searches like I did!), I removed the passenger side wheel to replace the gearbox oil, then re-did the oil change, draining from the correct sump this time.

You live you learn.

Thanks for your replies :)

Back