I'm scared to change the oil because I think I stripped the sump threads last time, but it needsdoin

Generally speaking, in work, if the oil filter is accessible from under the bonnet, I suck the oil out. If I have to
jack it up to get at the filter, I drain it out.

Sponsored Links
It always seems to be blowing a gale when I do an oil drop....it sometimes looks like Exxon Valdez tied up in the drive :(
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yep, I remember that one.....the RAF tried to bomb it with napalm but it wouldn’t burn :(
No one in command at the time, the Master was found hiding in a bunk somewhere.

I’ll refrain from Google, but if I remember, Torrey Canyon became a casualty on the Scilly Isles and eventually broke in half. There was no one on the bridge at the time of grounding.
The British authorities then said ‘ what the f... shall we do with this’

Amoco Cadiz became a casualty off the north coast of France after a steering failure......that’s all I can recall but there was a huge spillage.

Blimey some names from the past. Exxon Valdez, Amoco Cadiz. Seemed to go through a phase of big spills in those days - but none these days. Maybe they got better drivers or sat nav these days.

Blimey some names from the past. Exxon Valdez, Amoco Cadiz. Seemed to go through a phase of big spills in those days - but none these days. Maybe they got better drivers or sat nav these days.
Could add the Torry Canyon, they all were single hulled.
Thankfully they are all double hulled these days, less chance of them bursting open, thing the oil is in seperate compartments now, so even if the burst both hulls it all doesnt flood out. You have to wonder what bright spark thought a single hull was adequate in the first place

Torrey Canyon (post#158) and Exxon Valdez were casualties largely due to absence of anyone competent (i.e sober) on the bridge, and inadequate crew training.
If you want to see evidence of massive incompetence, read the wikipedia on Sea Empress, 1996 in Milford Haven :eek:
For another human inadequacy the story of Costa Concordia takes some beating.

Sponsored Links
Back