I'm scared to change the oil because I think I stripped the sump threads last time, but it needsdoin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hey

My car is a Vauxhall Vectra 1.9 cdti 120 bhp which is at 198,000 on the clock.

The engine on it has been brilliant and I want to ensure despite it's high mileage that it will continue to be reliable as possible and oil changes are essential for that
I have covered over 60 k in the 3 years I've owned it. I was getting the oil and filter changed on it every 5,000 miles or so but at the last oil change at 180,000 miles I made a mistake

As I was getting sump plug out I accidentally had ratchet on tighten and not loosen at first, I realised my mistake and put it on loosen and got out the sump plug easy enough.
However when putting the plug back in, it was very tight and I think I used 2 hands to force the plug back in. It is in and is not leaking.The sump plug itself did not appear damaged in any way.

However now it has been 18,000 miles since the oil change and the car is high mileage I really need to get this done. I have been putting it off over the last year , I usually would have done about another 3 oil changes on it by by now.

Can anyone tell me what I might expect to be up against when I next do the oil on it, would a different size sump plug be a good idea ?

thanks

Sponsored Links
It is possible to have the oil pumped out, you know.....the likes of Kwik Fit or whoever do this frequently. In fact, not all cars actually have a sump plug anymore.
Its not as good as dropping the sump plug of course, but if you had to use two hands to tighten the plug up last time you could be opening a can of worms here.
You could fit a replacement sump, depending on how easy it is to drop......I've fitted quite a few new sumps but they have always been steel and rusted through. Is yours steel or alloy?
John :)

Do you mean two hands on the ratchet/lever or whatever you used to put it in?
If so, it sounds like you are in shtook.

It is possible to have the oil pumped out, you know.....the likes of Kwik Fit or whoever do this frequently. In fact, not all cars actually have a sump plug anymore.
Its not as good as dropping the sump plug of course, but if you had to use two hands to tighten the plug up last time you could be opening a can of worms here.
You could fit a replacement sump, depending on how easy it is to drop......I've fitted quite a few new sumps but they have always been steel and rusted through. Is yours steel or alloy?

hi

I think I used 2 hands on the ratchet to get the sump plug back in but don't remember for sure but I do remember it was very tight turning the plug back in. Is it worth before I do the oil change buying a couple extra different sump bolts, maybe after market one ?

I don't like the idea of getting it sucked out because it would feel like my car is ruined and having to bodge it at each oil change, I have pride in my car abut thank you very much it is a great idea and if it really must come to it then I may do that. I just want to take sump plug out and I hope a new drain plug fixes the issue . I am not sure if the sump's on the vectras are steel or alloy but I think they are quite a job to change on these.

Any further advice ? thanks

Sponsored Links
Do you mean two hands on the ratchet/lever or whatever you used to put it in?
If so, it sounds like you are in shtook.

hi

I think I used 2 hands on the ratchet to get the sump plug back in but don't remember for sure but I do remember it was very tight turning the plug back in. Is it worth before I do the oil change buying a couple extra different sump bolts, maybe after market one ?

I don't like the idea of getting it sucked out because it would feel like my car is ruined and having to bodge it at each oil change, I have pride in my car abut thank you very much it is a great idea and if it really must come to it then I may do that. I just want to take sump plug out and I hope a new drain plug fixes the issue . I am not sure if the sump's on the vectra's are steel or alloy but I think they are quite a job to change on these.

Any further advice ? thanks

If you take the old plug out, you run the risk of it not sealing at all afterwards.....it depends on which part has damaged threads. You could get lucky - or maybe not, we can't say.
If its an alloy sump, it is likely to be damaged rather than the harder plug. If its steel it could be either or both.

If it only the bolt thread that has failed you should be able to get one on Ebay. I did this a while back and wrapped the plug with PTFE tape, worked a treat.

Peter

You say the sump plug was tight turning back in on last oil change. Did you inspect the threads and sealing washer when the plug was out?

I curious why it was tight turning back in. Once loosened, I've always been able to screw sump plugs out/in by hand. Plugs seem to be around 25/90 Nm for aluminium sumps.

I had to replace a sump pan on a Punto a few years back. Being steel, it had rotted.

Perhaps a replacement sump pan may be the solution for you - will this fit?

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A couple of years back I did an oil change late Sunday and the sump plug was shot. No shops open so I put the plug back in and sealed with silicone. Did the job!

If sealing the plug in with silicon, be sure the metal is spotless. Screw the plug in place and leave to cure and get a hold for 24 hours before pouring any oil in. May work, may not work!!!!

You say the sump plug was tight turning back in on last oil change. Did you inspect the threads and sealing washer when the plug was out?

I curious why it was tight turning back in. Once loosened, I've always been able to screw sump plugs out/in by hand. Plugs seem to be around 25/90 Nm for aluminium sumps.

I had to replace a sump pan on a Punto a few years back. Being steel, it had rotted.

Perhaps a replacement sump pan may be the solution for you - will this fit?
Hi
thanks for the link I appreicete it

Yes I hada look at the drain plug it seemed fine it was only a few months old because I bought it new not long previously. I am really hoping that a new drain plyg may fix the problem althoguh I think the plug was fine.

Is the replacement sump pan the same as replacing the entire sump ? If not can it be partially dismatled in order to replace the section with the plug ? thanks

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
A couple of years back I did an oil change late Sunday and the sump plug was shot. No shops open so I put the plug back in and sealed with silicone. Did the job!

If sealing the plug in with silicon, be sure the metal is spotless. Screw the plug in place and leave to cure and get a hold for 24 hours before pouring any oil in. May work, may not work!!!!
hi
thank you but that does not seem like a permanent solution or something I would feel very confident about, but I appreicete the response.

My apologies!

Above, I meant the sump plug washer was shot. Once the plug was tightened in, I applied silicon.

If the plug was fine as you say, why was it tight to screw back in?

The pan I linked to in a one piece casting so you'd have to see what is bolted onto it and what parts need to be removed to take the sump off.

Sponsored Links
Back