Engine temp spiking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello.

Looking for some help if possible. Over the past few days the engine temp for my Meriva B has started spiking up to 100 (and sometimes a smidge over) when it normally sits perfectly still at 90. I have noticed that the coolant reservoir is showing at just under the level line (I believe on my Meriva the level line is the seam joint of the plastic reservoir). About an hour ago driving back form the supermarket for most of the entire 8 mile journey it kept flipping between 90-100 on several occasions. I've also noticed that the fan comes on much sooner and operates for longer than normal, at least that's what it seems like.

I'm going to top up the coolant tomorrow, but was wondering if anyone has any possible clues as to other causes.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the thermostat opening ? Have you checked by feeling the radiator ( carefully ) to see if it is hot ?

All sorted. And it was a classic schoolboy (read as dickhead) error.

Simply needed more coolant. Whenever I periodically check engine oil level, I normally give a glance over at the coolant and brake fluid levels as well. And with my coolant being red, along with the expansion tank having a smaller mini reservoir inside the main expansion tank, I have clearly incorrectly used that to check levels. What I should have been doing is physically looking at the other side of the coolant tank.

Lesson learnt? Don't be lazy and assume. In future I will physically check and open the tank to see.

Other than that, once topped up and took for a 15 mile spin, engine temp stayed rock steady at 90. Got back home, popped bonnet and coolant level still as it should be with no signs of vapour spray.

Sponsored Links
Back