Engineered Flooring - doesn't fit together

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm laying some oak engineered flooring but I'm having problems fitting the boards together tightly. I insert the board at an angle and everything is fine but as I lay it down a gap opens up. The gaps only tend to be on one section of the board, usualy the middle.

There's no debris in the channel. I've tried using a pull bar and tapping block which sometimes works but also sometimes damages the board as I have to hit it so hard to get the gap to close.

As a last resort last night I took one board and took a chisel to the groove, removing the small lip there. Then the board fitted perfectly with just a light tap to knock it into place. I'm happy to carry on like this removing the lip from any sections that don't snap together. I'm worried they might start to pull apart at a later date though. Should I put in a bit of glue on these sections?

This must be a common problem, how do people usually deal with it?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Some engineered flooring can be glued at the groove but why not look on the wrappings for the manufacturers name and call them for tech advice.
Did the material acclimatize in your house?
Dont go smashing them together, it shouldn't be necessary.

dont do it
if they dont go together properly and its faulty manufacturing they come round or you take it back they will blame the damage you have caused for the problems
do you have a picture off the problem gaps ??

Sponsored Links
Is it a click or tongue and grove ?

Was it cheap ? Loads of wood out there which are rubbish. Fitted some last year a customer git from Costco.

Most of the planks bowed. Nightmare to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back