Engineered flooring - minimum cut length 1/3 of plank??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had some engineered oak flooring delivered yesterday, so I'm leaving to acclimatise at the mo, ready to lay on Saturday.

I downloaded the fitting instructions to have a read, and they must be generic as they recommend a minimum joint stagger of 500mm. That's fine, but these boards are only 900mm long, so not possible!!

Thinking sensibly, would it be best to work at a 1/3 plank length as minimum stagger, i.e 300mm?

Other thing, these boards are click on both long & short sides, and instructions suggest to click in long length, then wedge that board up at an angle, click in next boards short end, then pivot to click in the long end of that board. Then strike home the long edge of first board, wedge second board & so on.

Because click system is designed to click in squarely, does it not put strain on the joints with this method? I'd have thought there is less strain if you assemble a complete row end on end, and then try to slow them in along the long edge at an angle all together, although I suppose in practice it would be more awkward.

Click system I used previous only had the angled click system on long edge, so you just tapped them home with a pullbar.

I'm sure it will be obvious when I start laying it, but was thinking out aloud, lol!!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back