Laying 1800 lengths

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I’m after some advice & tips on laying 1800mm lengths of engineered wood flooring that is click system.

I can cut it but the cut end would have to be laid against the wall, once cut it cannot be joined into the next length.

I’ve done a bit of reading & watched some you tube videos, lots of differing advice on which end to start, left or right, far corner etc.

It’s my own house. First room is just under 4.6m long. So that equates to 2 full lengths (1800x2 = 3720) & a cut of 870mm.

Then when I lay the next row do I just do the same again but put the cut up the other end. Then repeat that pattern?

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
use your offcut to start next row and so on it keeps the joint staggered and you have no waste

An end piece of 870mm, would leave an off cut of 990mm (assuming half of 3720 means 1860mm boards) but you could reduce the off cut to 930mm, and then start the 3rd row with a complete board again. This would give you a more regular pattern across the room. Bobs suggestion is a good one for maximising usage, but you can then get into difficulties when the off cuts shorten too much (you'd have 110mm on the 3rd row), and you're lines can look a bit odd wandering across the room. It'll depend on what sort of look you want.

Thanks, I’ve done a bit of maths since & sussed a pattern.

Just one more question - are thresholds required if I’m running the same floor throughout? Longest run is 12m. Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Engineered wood doesn't expand as much as normal wood, but it might be sensible to play safe, and put the threshold in, and you might find it easier to work inwards towards a threshold, rather than in and out. 12m is a lot, and it might be worth a call to the suppliers; wood expands more across it's width than it's length though.

My engineered wood came in 3 lengths with the longest being 1800mm. I worked out the central focal point if the room , my fireplace and measured the width of the strips from there. Each outer wall strip was cut down its length. I also staggered the joints and they all line up across the room.

We randomised the joints on ours but as said it's personal preference.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back