Engineered flooring over Vinyl tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I am half way through an extension and am think about flooring.
I would like to lay an engineered oak flooring in the extension, half of which is new, and half existing.
The existing half has vinyl (i think) tiles which i was planning to pull up, and then self level the whole lot and then glue down the oak.
The problem is the tiles; they seem to be welded to the floor and come up a few chips at a time.
Can i roughen the surface and then glue direct to them? From my efforts to remove them i am pretty confident they will stay put, but will the adhesive stick to them?
The slab was done in two parts; 60mm about 9 months ago and 60 mm about 4 months ago. IMG_1073.JPG
Thank you for your help.
Pic attached for info.

Sponsored Links
I'd hire one of these and get rid of them. If the bond fails between either vynyl and floor or vynyl and levelling compound an annoying knock can develop.
http://www.hss.com/hire/p/floor-tile-stripper
I would also advise against bonding down the engineered flooring... It should be a floating floor, over an underlay, with provision for expansion and contraction.

Thanks for that, I didn't know those machines even existed!

Regarding the floor, everything I've read mentions bonding it down, what's the reason not to?
Thanks for your help
James

Regarding the floor, everything I've read mentions bonding it down, what's the reason not to?

Sorry! I was assuming it was a click/lock floating floor covering... If the manufacturers say glue it, then follow their guidance... It's just that if it needs to expand then obviously it can't do that if stuck down!

Sponsored Links
I removed all vinyl tiles from my kitchen diner with one.

If they are really stuck down then the motorised tool is easy peasy!
If you have a multi-tool then you can also get blades that will make things a bit easier but the floor stripper will make mincemeat of them (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back