Engineered oak quality?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought some engineered oak flooring 189mm x 22mm prefinished, the sample I got looked fine, when I collected the order it was all shrink wrapped and no finished surface was visible.
When I unwrapped it I was dismayed to say the least, now I used to work with oak many years ago and know it has "features" but I think this is awfull, there are knots [or have been ] that have been filled, many are up to 50mm diameter and are just a puddle of dark brown filler no sign of the original knot/timber remains, some of the planks are golden some are brown, one even has a full size imprint of a boot tread sealed in, there are some shakes up to 10mm wide runnig 2/3rds the length of the plank [1.8m] this was not described as rustic or distressed by the way, do you think I can reject this as unfit for purpose?.

Sponsored Links
What was the grade mentioned on the sample you had?

The description you give of the received floor sounds like what we call County Grade, or Extra Rustic: knots can be up to 60mm, many colour variations but NO fabrication damages.
Normal Rustic may have knots as large as 30mm and colour variations, but again NO fabrication damages

If I were you I would return the stuff a.s.a.p.

Return "Quality received not per sample"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back