Oak Floor Tips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I decided to put an solid rustic oak floor into my kitchen, basically because I found a source of solid 19mm oak tongue and groove going cheap. I've never done any flooring before so it was a bit of an experiment to be honest...

Here's a couple of tips that others might find helpful.

1) Hire a proper flooring nailer, it will save you loads of time, but practice on a couple of offcuts to make sure that you've got your technique right.

2) Sometimes the nailer might jump and not drive the head of the nail underneath the surface of the wood, I found it a real pain to try and drive the nail into the wood with a punch, and it was easer to grind off the rest of the protuding head with an angle grinder.

3) I used rustic grade wood with quite a few knots in it. Some look great, but others don't. You can cut up long planks into two pieces and take out the knot, then recreate the tongue and groove using a router, or tablesaw.

4) Get the biggest profile gauge you can, even this might not give you a full profile of a door.

5) Cutting profiles in 19mm solid oak is pretty difficult with a jigsaw, and can take hours to get even remotely close, you also have the danger of wood splitting...try and get hold of a small table bandsaw if you have a lot of profiles to do, it'll be much much easier. I didn't bother taking off the skirting board when I did mine.

6) If you have long planks, sometimes there might be a slight warp, once again it might be better to cut into two shorter ones and recut the tongue and groove for a really tight finish. Check the line of the plank against a laminate worktop you know is straight if possible.

7) I used a 48" sash clamp to help tightly clamp the wood where possible, very useful as I did the floor with no help. If you are too far away from somewhere to clamp to, use wedges, with one wedge screwed into the floor to help clamp the wood together.

I stress that all this advice is from a complete novice with one floor under his belt, if anybody has any comments or better ways of doing things I'd love to hear them... I'll post some pics shortly...

Thx

Sponsored Links
Since I've got a bit of time on my hands I decided to improve the look of the floor by filling in the small gaps between some of the planks. I first started with one of the clear mastics which you mix in sawdust to make a paste, to be honest I didn't find it very good, with the paste being too sticky to go in cleanly and fill in gaps, perhaps I'm doing it wrong because the local hardwood floor shop said that they used this method all the time.
I then tried gapmaster, which comes in a cartridge so that you can squeeze it into gaps. So far this has proved easier to get into small gaps, but the drying time at 18 hours is a pain, it means that you have to wait at least a day after your last gap fill before you can do a final sand and then finish with oil or wax or whatever you are using...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back