Installing Solid Wood Flooring - DIY

arh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am considering to install solid oak flooring myself. Floor will be layed with 12mm plywood sheeting first. I will be using a porta nailer to attach wood to ply.
Can anyone advise if it is reasonably easy to do or if I should get a
professional in?
Do you normally surface nail the first 2 row prior to the porta nailer?
Is it reasonably easy to get a good fit for the tongue and groove?

I have laid laminate floating floors several times with good results.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Personal and professional opinion: why would you nail T&G solid Oak floors on plywood subfloor? Nailing is really only needed when installing directly onto joists.
You can install this floating, glueing the T&G's with PVAC-woodglue after you install foam underlayment on the plywood for sound-insulation.

There is alot of advice about installing solid wood floors try *****************or use a google search. Nailing a solid wood floor is the best option. (check to see if the manufacturer recommends floating) my guess is they won't. 12mm ply is not sufficient to nail into and are you using a moisture barrier ? I recommend you do sisalkraft moistop is suitable for solid wood, don't use polythene it makes wood sweat.

Ask an experts advice before starting it will save you alot of time, effort and money.

Please note forum rule 12

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back